HD 2600 PRO AGP - driver problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nadro View Post
    Drivers works properly on my Fedora Performance of speed isn't good, but this is first good step for 2xxx series AGP for Linux I run application on Linux (Catalyst 8.3) and Windows XP (the latest Omega Drivers) and on Linux I have about 160FPS, on Windows 310FPS, I hape than performance of speed will be better in C8.4
    What kind of application did you test???

Just to give you an idea I tested my HD2600 pro with Doom3 and at 800X600, Medium quality the best it can do is 15 FPS !?!? in the time demo. My Radeon 9800 pro give my 53 fps at the same setting!!!

In window I can play Doom3 with my HD2600 pro at 1080X768 at Ultra Quality 2X antialliasing and I get 63 FPS in the Time demo.

So guess what I put my brand new card in it's box yet again!

Comment

I use small test application from Irrlicht Engine SDK I have problem with rebooting. With Catalyst 8.3 when my PC is rebooting after all shutdown communicates my PC is crashing...

Comment

first of all, sorry for double-posting there....

well, after some tests, it is obvious that something is very wrong... but, at least the driver works.... i don't play any game on linux (only on window$), so it is almost ok for me now....

EDIT:

actually, it is not ok.... my overall system performance, is even worse than with the "vesa" driver.... even with all effects and stuff disabled.....
        maybe i'm doing something wrong here....

=/
        Last edited by theblackkat; 06 March 2008, 08:58 PM.

Comment

I bought this card because I wanted to play the game enemy territory Quake wars! If I only wanted to be able to play with compiz My 9800 pro already does that really well! So if someone at AMD could just explain when we will have an adequate driver for the HD26XX AGP family that would be nice!

Comment

I also wanted to play the game Enemy Territory Quake Wars! and Doom 3, but currently with this performance I can't...

Comment

Hi folks,

first of all I discovered the phoronix forums on my (k)nightly quest to get my "HIS Radeon HD 2600 XT Turbo AGP" running under linux and windows xp. The community and information here is priceless, kudos to all of you for that. This is the definitely place to do research, before you buy some video hardware

On monday my old x800 based ATI AGP card died and I got myself a new card (HD 2600 AGP). Starting with windows I was quite surprised, that the official driver did not find any ATI hardware. You know the story, at least the HIS supported drivers did work ...

I use Linux as primary working OS, so I tried to get the card running. The combination of my trusted Ubuntu 7.04 and the official catalyst 8.2 fglrx only resulted in kernel crashes or the driver did not find any hardware (I tried the last five official drivers and the repository ones). I upgraded to 7.10, was able to build+load the fglrx driver. But again, no HD 2600 AGP card supported.

I love to play around with linux, kernel and drivers, but I really lost patience this time. The official AMD/ATI drivers simply did not work with my card, neither under linux nor windows (you know, there is a nice little sticker on the box "certified for windows").

The open source drivers did a much better job, as they were actually working. I got the card working with the radeonhd and the radeon drivers (both checked out via git and self compiled). Unfortunately the 2D acceleration is very new and there is no 3D acceleration (which I need in Linux). Big kudos to the open source community, for supplying a working driver for my card. The chip manufacturer of course was not able to do it. Interesting.

I ordered an nvidia card, the AMD/ATI card will go back in its nice little box. The only thing that will get it out of there again, is to test new versions of the radeon or radeonhd open source drivers. I am so done with AMD/ATI cards and the catalyst driver. Reading the reports about catalyst 8.3, I decided not to even try it. I will live with radeonhd until my new card arrives.

ATI, you lost a customer here. And yes, I like some cheese with the whine
              Last edited by neovatar; 07 March 2008, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by neovatar View Post
                The open source drivers did a much better job, as they were actually working. I got the card working with the radeonhd and the radeon drivers (both checked out via git and self compiled).
                Hi neovatar, I have not be able to run the 8.3 drivers neither. I would like to try the radeonhd free drivers, could you explain me how to install them or where to get info about installing?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by eneko View Post
                  Hi neovatar, I have not be able to run the 8.3 drivers neither. I would like to try the radeonhd free drivers, could you explain me how to install them or where to get info about installing?

Thanks in advance
                  Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

fglrx from Cat 8-3 is still not working on my HIS Radeon HD 2600 XT IceQ Turbo AGP. It is on a Via K8T800Pro chipset mainboard with 4 GB of RAM.
                    Did anyone get the fglrx driver to work (with DRI on preferrably) on an AGP-based RadeonHD 2xxx card?
                    If yes, what steps did you follow?

TIA
                    (feeling more and more like what neovatar expressed a few posts back )

Comment

• Thanks Michael for the URL, I'll try it now.

As feedback I didn't get to work fglrx 8.3 with a Shapire HD 2600 Pro AGP.

I agree with Swoopy, it would be great if someone explained how to get the driver working.

I want to think this situation is an error that AMD/ATI aren't being to repeat. I must thank them for the position towards FLOSS community they are adopting and hope that this problem will be resolved as soon as possible. Don't desperate, this is a transitional bad time until the FLOSS driver is the official one

Comment

Working...
                      X