Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Radeon Driver Changes Queued For Linux 3.19

Phoronix: More Radeon Driver Changes Queued For Linux 3.19

Just one week after the bulk of the Radeon DRM changes for Linux 3.19, another round of updates were submitted for DRM-Next...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I still hope to see performance improvements some day...

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      I still hope to see performance improvements some day...
      The performance of thoe Radeon driver is already pretty good. It sounds to me like the performance advantage of Catalyst comes at the expense of some incredibly dirty code (e.g. per-game optimisations, maybe more so on Windows but still, urgh). Radeon needs OpenGL compliance, power/fan management and maybe crossfile support a lot more than it needs more performance right now. It's Nvidia open source that needs performance.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        The performance of thoe Radeon driver is already pretty good. It sounds to me like the performance advantage of Catalyst comes at the expense of some incredibly dirty code (e.g. per-game optimisations, maybe more so on Windows but still, urgh). Radeon needs OpenGL compliance, power/fan management and maybe crossfile support a lot more than it needs more performance right now
        That does appear to be the case. According to one of Michael's recent benchmarks, the open source drivers were almost exactly head-to-head with catalyst. This suggests that for that particular game, the drivers are running as fast as they possibly can without any optimizations specific to that game. Based on what I've noticed, catalyst on linux doesn't appear to have any application-specific optimizations (though I think it used to, at one point).

I have no doubt that there are some things the open source drivers could be doing to get better performance that isn't application-specific, but I would much rather see the things you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          The performance of thoe Radeon driver is already pretty good.
          Well, you can go above 60 fps in source games, etc. It's still only approx. 30% of what Catalyst can do. Not nearly good enough for games we hope to have on linux in the future. Xonotic performance is kind of irrelevant...

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            Well, you can go above 60 fps in source games, etc. It's still only approx. 30% of what Catalyst can do. Not nearly good enough for games we hope to have on linux in the future. Xonotic performance is kind of irrelevant...
            Recent phoronix benchmarks for two source engine based games shows lowest average comparation case is @60%

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is your graphics driver stack recent enough? Which chip you use? Did you fill bug about that performance issue? etc.
            Last edited by dungeon; 20 November 2014, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Agreed, to claim that the radeon drivers are at 30% the performance of Catayst is laughable in this day and age.

Comment

It's ~90% for r600...
                Don't blame the driver if your distro/release is old, radeon has improved a LOT over the last 2 years...

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                  Agreed, to claim that the radeon drivers are at 30% the performance of Catayst is laughable in this day and age.
                  It might be true for integrated or dedicated GPUs in an laptop or motherboard.
                  It isn't always the performance that bothers me but the fact that some games doesn't run at all (runs great with catalyst), even games that run great on "real" graphics cards with radeon.
                  I do like the progress of AMD open source graphics driver and i use it as my main driver but for many games i still need catalyst.
                  I do think that the small integrated and dedicated GPU still needs much love.

Comment

I guess it's technically possible to get the windows performance on the open source driver, but that would mean to invest a lot of more time on it, and to put code than its not easy to maintain across the future (I have read this in this same forum time ago). Or maybe the fault is because the games are not optimized enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X