Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD's HSA Run-Time Library Is Now Open-Source

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD's HSA Run-Time Library Is Now Open-Source

    Phoronix: AMD's HSA Run-Time Library Is Now Open-Source

    Last week we reported on AMD's plans for a complete user-space open-source HSA stack. Today they have finally delivered!..

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTgzODY

  • #2
    Will this work with Kaveri, or is that now a dead-end, until the new driver architecture is out?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by phred14 View Post
      Will this work with Kaveri, or is that now a dead-end, until the new driver architecture is out?
      This is primarily for Kaveri.
      Test signature

      Comment


      • #4
        What about kabini?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          This is primarily for Kaveri.
          I asked because of this in the original article:
          This code goes along with AMD's new "AMDKFD" kernel HSA driver that's still in the process of being mainlined.
          and Kaveri uses the old driver, not the new AMDKFD. My impression is that Kaveri is Sea Islands, and AMDKFD starts with Pirate Islands.

          I bought a Kaveri about a month back, specifically because HSA will hopefully make it the most cost-effective machine for my needs/wishes eventually.

          Comment


          • #6
            There might be a bit of confusion here between the new kernel graphics driver (amdgpu) and the almost-as-new kernel HSA driver (amdkfd). The amdkfd driver will work with both the radeon and amdgpu kernel graphics drivers, among others, and will support hardware from CI and up.
            Test signature

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              There might be a bit of confusion here between the new kernel graphics driver (amdgpu) and the almost-as-new kernel HSA driver (amdkfd). The amdkfd driver will work with both the radeon and amdgpu kernel graphics drivers, among others, and will support hardware from CI and up.
              is the amdkfd driver open source enough that any Os developer could implement the driver into another OS ? or is this linux only and relies on binary blobs ?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
                is the amdkfd driver open source enough that any Os developer could implement the driver into another OS ? or is this linux only and relies on binary blobs ?
                I'm not sure what you mean. It's MIT licensed code inside the linux kernel. It's as portable as anything else there.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  I'm not sure what you mean. It's MIT licensed code inside the linux kernel. It's as portable as anything else there.
                  I think it's dual licensed, MIT/X11 and GPLv2. Like Mesa and Gallium3D.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    In what version of the kernel this new amdkfd is supposed to be integrated? ANd what version of LLVM will have all the proper bits?
                    Last edited by rvdboom; 14 November 2014, 02:21 AM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X