Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmmbop View Post
    I for one still play TF2 on my HD 5770. Thanks for not forgetting about me
    Same here.. appreciate the TF2 benchmarks... I'm a big TF2 player!

Comment

Originally posted by jagoly View Post
      AFAIK they just run the dx9 shaders through a converter to GLSL beforehand. So no runtime cost.
      He's referring to ToGL. It's not exactly a DX->GL translation layer in the sense that WINE is, but it does do some of the same things. It does require the GLSL to be translated up front by the game developer, which is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeyy00 View Post
        Yup, 3 posts. So what? Bite me.

They aren't though. Benchmarking two games is hardly indicitive of the Linux gaming scene.
        Then learn to read.

This is teaser of tests to come.

Was mentioned in text multiple times.

Time to learn to read.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          Then learn to read.

This is teaser of tests to come.

Was mentioned in text multiple times.

Time to learn to read.
          For a moment I thought you were trying to write a haiku. Here's a haiku:

You must learn to read

It was mentioned in the text

More tests shall come soon

Comment

I'm not sure if Unigine Benchmark has been tested before with Gallium3D/Catalyst, but maybe Michael can have a look at it. Is there already a way to perform tests with the Unreal 4 Engine? I'm not sure if Epic has integrated such a feature.

Another (lightly) off-topic question @Michael: Do you have any information when the new open-source amd/ati driver for R285 and up will be released?

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
              For a moment I thought you were trying to write a haiku. Here's a haiku:
              Dunno what haiku is. Beyond that its some kind of poetry. I'm software developer, not a poet. :P Also I'm not native english. My haiku would not be english haiku and hence most probably unreadable to anyone including me

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                I'd say that Metro: Last Light is the "prettiest" game that Linux has right now. Of course, I'm sure Michael would include it if it provided easy automated benchmarking.
                No it is not. The Witcher 2 is the "prettiest" game that Linux has right now. I have both, Metro LL and the Witcher 2 and the latter is MILES ahead in graphics, lighting, shadows, and physics fidelity.

Oh and I would like to mention that I have it running at near Uber settings (Custom High) using Catalyst on an R9-290X and it runs smooth as silk with AA and all depth of fields turned on.

Comment

Originally posted by DanglingPointer View Post
                  No it is not. The Witcher 2 is the "prettiest" game that Linux has right now. I have both, Metro LL and the Witcher 2 and the latter is MILES ahead in graphics, lighting, shadows, and physics fidelity.

Oh and I would like to mention that I have it running at near Uber settings (Custom High) using Catalyst on an R9-290X and it runs smooth as silk with AA and all depth of fields turned on.
                  Witcher 2 is no Linux game. It's like saying World of Warcraft is a Linux game because you can run it via WINE.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                    Witcher 2 is no Linux game. It's like saying World of Warcraft is a Linux game because you can run it via WINE.
                    I will make the assumption you understand SDLC...
                    First, I would request you take a step back and imagine the use case for this piece of software. An actor wants to play the game. Whether it is via native OpenGL calls or not, the use case is what matters which is to play the game.
                    If it works easily enough after functional testing for a non-technical user then it passes User Acceptance Testing (UAT).
                    Wine will never pass non-technical user acceptance testing.
                    However downloading The Witcher 2 from Steam passes that testing if it just works from the get go with Nvidia drivers or Catalyst drivers. Whether FPS and time-framing are on par with Windows or not is irrelevant to the Use Case as long as FPS, frame-times, graphics fidelity, and bugs are within the minimum allowable/acceptable tolerances for release to production and marketing.

In the case of the Witcher 2 it passes all tests. People buy it, it makes money, business case/model proven! Then perhaps for the next and subsequent projects gpu API's friendlier to *nix would be considered since the market had already been proven and money can be made (pilot program by stealth).
                    As for the Witcher 2 (2011), API's friendlier to *nix were ruled out back then due to zero business case.

You're too into the IT tech of everything, remember most of the world just turns on the light switch not knowing how a light bulb works.

Comment

Old games or not (for me they are not) this is impressive either way. Even on the most recent generation of HW it looks already good and reaches about 3/4 of Catalyst's performance. That is good.
                      Now I just wish to get rid of some small Kabini rendering glitches in KDE and I'm happy.
                      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                      X