AMD Gallium3D Marks Huge Win: Beating Catalyst In Steam On Linux Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mikeyy00 View Post
    Look, don't mean to be rude, but I don't give a crap about these old ass games. They've been running decently on Gallium for a while (as long as you're not rocking an ancient adaptor). What about newer games like Civ 5? Borderlands? (for which the Catalyst runs extremely poorly?). How about Wasteland 2?
    CS:GO is new game for Linux, appeared just in less then 2 months. Wasteland i little older for that matter, Borderlands 2 has similar date and Civ 5 is much older - they are all older really isn't it

Ah you mean engine is probably older , but yeah i agree it should be probably the best to test different games, but one choosed game maded upon different engines - so one game per engine, that should better show how driver really performs across the board

I think that way (when most engines are covered) most people will stop to complain how something is "old"
    Last edited by dungeon; 13 November 2014, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      CS:GO is new game for Linux, appeared just in less then 2 months. Wasteland i little older for that matter, Borderlands 2 has similar date and Civ 5 is much older - they are all older really isn't it

Ah you mean engine is probably older , but yeah i agree it should be probably the best to test different games, but one choosed game maded upon different engines - so one game per engine, that should better show how driver really performs across the board

I think that way (when most engines are covered) most people will stop to complain how something is "old"
      Sorry, wasn't trying to be a dick earlier. It just seems that the Valve games are the only ones mentioned. I wasn't aware there isn't a way to benchmark the other games.

That being said, I'm interested to see if they are playable on Gallium, since Catalyst is a mess (compared to NVidia).

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
        You should try a little harder.

Just joined, only 3 posts and you aren't talking with very much respect. These are as up to date as you can get, so I don't even know why you're complaining.
        Yup, 3 posts. So what? Bite me.

They aren't though. Benchmarking two games is hardly indicitive of the Linux gaming scene. I can't be the only one interested in ditching Windows (finally) for gaming, and am curious how it performs without having to do a wipe and see for myself (which I've done numerous times).

According to a reply I received from Aspyr, they're blaming a lot of the Borderlands 2 performance issues with the AMD driver, so I was hopeful that maybe Gallium would be better (will be better?)

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          You would lose that bet.

My Radeon-6870 with Gallium and Nine smokes Catalyst everywhere from Linux to Wine gaming.

Comment

Yup, 3 posts. So what? Bite me.

They aren't though. Benchmarking two games is hardly indicitive of the Linux gaming scene. I can't be the only one interested in ditching Windows (finally) for gaming, and am curious how it performs without having to do a wipe and see for myself (which I've done numerous times).

According to a reply I received from Aspyr, they're blaming a lot of the Borderlands 2 performance issues with the AMD driver, so I was hopeful that maybe Gallium would be better (will be better?)
            You don't need to do a wipe. You've got several options, from wubi(assuming that's still around), side-by-side install, virtualization, or good ole live USB.

Comment

Look, don't mean to be rude, but I don't give a crap about these old ass games.
              Why are you such an asshole?
              Half life 2 engine games are the eye candy of Linux.
              I played Wasteland 2. It doesn't look anywhere near as pretty as games mentioned in the article. Though it is nice game.
              I Literally finished HL episode 2 10 minutes ago.
              I find this information really relevant.
              Just because you don't think those tests are irrelevant, doesn't mean they are.
              Many people were asking about HL2 engine games before, and Michael gives those tests now.
              Why are you so toxic?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                Why are you such an asshole?
                Half life 2 engine games are the eye candy of Linux.
                I played Wasteland 2. It doesn't look anywhere near as pretty as games mentioned in the article. Though it is nice game.
                I Literally finished HL episode 2 10 minutes ago.
                I find this information really relevant.
                Just because you don't think those tests are irrelevant, doesn't mean they are.
                Many people were asking about HL2 engine games before, and Michael gives those tests now.
                Why are you so toxic?
                I'd say that Metro: Last Light is the "prettiest" game that Linux has right now. Of course, I'm sure Michael would include it if it provided easy automated benchmarking.

Comment

This is great news to see how good open source drivers works on TF2, on amd probably is still behind windows, but this benchmark is very interesting. So, keep up the good work, the difference can be higher in a future.
                  Last edited by edoantonioco; 13 November 2014, 10:23 PM.

Comment

The Source engine is using a DirectX -> OpenGL translation layer isn't it? Wonder if that has any weight on the situation. From what I understand a big reason Valve is doing a rewritten Source 2 engine was to include native linux support from the get-go.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
                      The Source engine is using a DirectX -> OpenGL translation layer isn't it? Wonder if that has any weight on the situation. From what I understand a big reason Valve is doing a rewritten Source 2 engine was to include native linux support from the get-go.
                      AFAIK they just run the dx9 shaders through a converter to GLSL beforehand. So no runtime cost.

Comment

Working...
                      X