X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by user82 View Post
    The R9 290 continues to be disappointing compared to the mid end AMD cards. Too bad, at least I hope it is more stable.
    It's ~40% faster on GPU-limited benchmarks, which roughly matches the difference in shader hardware, so that seems about right.

The slowest card tested is ~HD4870 class and average is more like ~2x that, so it's not unexpected that the less demanding apps are going to be CPU-limited.
    Last edited by bridgman; 10 November 2014, 04:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    There's still a lot of churn in the DRM drivers.... e.g. just from Linux 3.17 - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...linux317&num=1

It's not click bait, it lets people know if/what's changed wrt to graphics performance with Linux 3.18.
    Yeah, I've got no problems with this article. There have been a bunch of performance improvements for radeon SI in the past few kernels.

Wasn't there an issue with the Hawaii cards where they would randomly lose their reclocking ability and get very slow? I was wondering if this kernel fixed that, but it doesn't show up in the 3.17 results here either.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
    Ghee what a surprise.
    The kernel actually doesn't do very much.
    Performance is mainly determined by mesa.

ANother click-baiting article
    There's still a lot of churn in the DRM drivers.... e.g. just from Linux 3.17 - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...linux317&num=1

It's not click bait, it lets people know if/what's changed wrt to graphics performance with Linux 3.18.

Leave a comment:

• fhuberts
    replied
    no surprises here

Ghee what a surprise.
    The kernel actually doesn't do very much.
    Performance is mainly determined by mesa.

ANother click-baiting article

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Other then oibaf ppa should consider to use llvm3.6 git to better show radeonsi improvments in latest 2+1 that is actually ~3 months now... i am mostly satisfied

Read it as: we don't see what happened with llvm in last 3 months here
    +1 (stupid character limit)

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Other then oibaf ppa should consider to use llvm3.6 git to better show radeonsi improvments in latest 2+1 that is actually ~3 months now... i am mostly satisfied

Read it as: we don't see what happened with llvm in last 3 months here
    Last edited by dungeon; 10 November 2014, 03:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• user82
    replied
    The R9 290 continues to be disappointing compared to the mid end AMD cards. Too bad, at least I hope it is more stable.

Leave a comment:

• Ardje
    replied
    Nothing worse than a "It didn't change" review.
    But good to do it anyway, thanks Michael!

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic AMD Radeon Graphics Performance On The Linux 3.18 Kernel

AMD Radeon Graphics Performance On The Linux 3.18 Kernel

Phoronix: AMD Radeon Graphics Performance On The Linux 3.18 Kernel

If you're curious whether the Linux 3.18 kernel will bring any performance improvements for users of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics driver, here's some benchmarks compared to Linux 3.17.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X