No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon Graphics Performance On The Linux 3.18 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know if the LLVM backend problems in radeonsi were fixed as this is the only reason why I'm still using the Radeon 6000 series.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      It's ~40% faster on GPU-limited benchmarks, which roughly matches the difference in shader hardware, so that seems about right.

The slowest card tested is ~HD4870 class and average is more like ~2x that, so it's not unexpected that the less demanding apps are going to be CPU-limited.
      Some of these benchmarks might not be fit any more and limited by CPU indeed, but in general it still looks like it does not perform much better.

Comment

Originally posted by pouar View Post
        Does anyone know if the LLVM backend problems in radeonsi were fixed as this is the only reason why I'm still using the Radeon 6000 series.
        If we compare let say last 6 months or better what we have this time last year... yeah many, many issues are fixed Still not complitely without issues, but of course it is better then ever

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
          Ghee what a surprise.
          The kernel actually doesn't do very much.
          Performance is mainly determined by mesa.

ANother click-baiting article
          I don't know what's your problem. Just don't read it if you think it's not worth and don't insult people who put effort into this. I liked the read, so thank you Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
            Some of these benchmarks might not be fit any more and limited by CPU indeed, but in general it still looks like it does not perform much better.
            ???

The 290 seems ~40% faster than the next fastest card (7950) on all the non-CPU-limited tests, which is what you should expect from the HW complement. What am I missing ?
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              ???

The 290 seems ~40% faster than the next fastest card (7950) on all the non-CPU-limited tests, which is what you should expect from the HW complement. What am I missing ?
              Which ones do you consider not-cpu-limited?

Comment

Originally posted by pouar View Post
                Compared to 6 months ago I can play almost any game without this issue.
                So far the only game I found with this issue is NWN:O (using Wine), unplayable.

So I'd say it's better, but not fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  Other then oibaf ppa should consider to use llvm3.6 git to better show radeonsi improvments in latest 2+1 that is actually ~3 months now... i am mostly satisfied

Read it as: we don't see what happened with llvm in last 3 months here
                  You can test mesa + llvm 3.6 using my ppa. I keep it in sync with both llvm git, mesa git and oibaf ppa so its very stable (as stable as git can be) and fully functional.

The only thing i didnt add to it is beignet because its not compiling with llvm 3.6 (i sent bug reports upstream to beignet devs).

some stuff that llvm 3.6 has over 3.5,

borderlands 2 works with dynamic lightning enabled, some titles are faster and/or more stable and is has improvements to clover.

test it out:

Hi, this is the UNSTABLE, built from git padoka ppa. if you are looking for the STABLE padoka PPA, go here: https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/pkppa/ If you like/use this PPA and think i deserve a cup of coffee, do a Paypal donation: https://www.paypal.me/padoka I don't have the time to support multiple ubuntu versions, so i only provide support for the LTS and the latest. if you need support for older versions, use oibaf repo instead (URL below). oibaf ppa for refer...

enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
                    Which ones do you consider not-cpu-limited?
                    Heaven, Sanctuary, Warsow and Furmark. The rest appear to be either totally or partially CPU-limited.

You can see Xonotic moving from totally CPU-limited to partially CPU-limited as the effects level is raised.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by groo_pcd View Post
                      You can test mesa + llvm 3.6 using my ppa. I keep it in sync with both llvm git, mesa git and oibaf ppa so its very stable (as stable as git can be) and fully functional.

The only thing i didnt add to it is beignet because its not compiling with llvm 3.6 (i sent bug reports upstream to beignet devs).

some stuff that llvm 3.6 has over 3.5,

borderlands 2 works with dynamic lightning enabled, some titles are faster and/or more stable and is has improvements to clover.

test it out:

Hi, this is the UNSTABLE, built from git padoka ppa. if you are looking for the STABLE padoka PPA, go here: https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/pkppa/ If you like/use this PPA and think i deserve a cup of coffee, do a Paypal donation: https://www.paypal.me/padoka I don't have the time to support multiple ubuntu versions, so i only provide support for the LTS and the latest. if you need support for older versions, use oibaf repo instead (URL below). oibaf ppa for refer...

enjoy!
                      Fine Paulo, but is more what Michael could consider to test on Ubuntu, i use Debian Sid and compile my own radeon driver graphic stack usually... testing tsellar's llvm machine scheduler few days now, it works even faster then clear llvm3.6git just with few more stutters here and there

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
                      X