Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon Graphics Performance On The Linux 3.18 Kernel

Phoronix: AMD Radeon Graphics Performance On The Linux 3.18 Kernel

If you're curious whether the Linux 3.18 kernel will bring any performance improvements for users of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics driver, here's some benchmarks compared to Linux 3.17.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nothing worse than a "It didn't change" review.
    But good to do it anyway, thanks Michael!

Comment

The R9 290 continues to be disappointing compared to the mid end AMD cards. Too bad, at least I hope it is more stable.

Comment

Other then oibaf ppa should consider to use llvm3.6 git to better show radeonsi improvments in latest 2+1 that is actually ~3 months now... i am mostly satisfied

Read it as: we don't see what happened with llvm in last 3 months here
        Last edited by dungeon; 10 November 2014, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Other then oibaf ppa should consider to use llvm3.6 git to better show radeonsi improvments in latest 2+1 that is actually ~3 months now... i am mostly satisfied

Read it as: we don't see what happened with llvm in last 3 months here
          +1 (stupid character limit)
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

no surprises here

Ghee what a surprise.
            The kernel actually doesn't do very much.
            Performance is mainly determined by mesa.

ANother click-baiting article

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
              Ghee what a surprise.
              The kernel actually doesn't do very much.
              Performance is mainly determined by mesa.

ANother click-baiting article
              There's still a lot of churn in the DRM drivers.... e.g. just from Linux 3.17 - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...linux317&num=1

It's not click bait, it lets people know if/what's changed wrt to graphics performance with Linux 3.18.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                There's still a lot of churn in the DRM drivers.... e.g. just from Linux 3.17 - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...linux317&num=1

It's not click bait, it lets people know if/what's changed wrt to graphics performance with Linux 3.18.
                Yeah, I've got no problems with this article. There have been a bunch of performance improvements for radeon SI in the past few kernels.

Wasn't there an issue with the Hawaii cards where they would randomly lose their reclocking ability and get very slow? I was wondering if this kernel fixed that, but it doesn't show up in the 3.17 results here either.

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
                  The R9 290 continues to be disappointing compared to the mid end AMD cards. Too bad, at least I hope it is more stable.
                  It's ~40% faster on GPU-limited benchmarks, which roughly matches the difference in shader hardware, so that seems about right.

The slowest card tested is ~HD4870 class and average is more like ~2x that, so it's not unexpected that the less demanding apps are going to be CPU-limited.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 10 November 2014, 04:30 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
                    Yeah, I just bought a R9 290 yesterday and am waiting for it to arrive. Even though the results for it are disappointing, it should still handle everything I want it to and it will only improve. The 290 and 290X are a different architecture than the rest of the GPUs, and the 285 is different from everything else too. So I figure it'll take a while for those to improve. The 290 itself has dramatically improved over the past year, and even though it is far behind what it should be, it's still got some leverage over many other GPUs.

Comment

Working...
                    X