AMD Is Prepared To Release A Complete User-Space Open-Source Stack For HSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Is Prepared To Release A Complete User-Space Open-Source Stack For HSA

Phoronix: AMD Is Prepared To Release A Complete User-Space Open-Source Stack For HSA

In the coming days AMD will be releasing AMD's HSA run-time library as open-source!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could HSA be used by Intel and Nvidia too?

I find vendor-specific technology utterly boring and uninteresting.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Could HSA be used by Intel and Nvidia too?

I find vendor-specific technology utterly boring and uninteresting.
      HSA is promoted by the HSA Foundation, that is open to all partecipants and aims to create a standard.

Comment

*10 minute Power Guitar solo*

This is very good. Maybe in another two years, AMD will be a solid choice for anyone wanting to use their hardware for Linux.

Comment

Having to pre-compile my openCL code is a bit of a nuisance when I'm dynamically generating the openCL code at runtime, but I'm excited nevertheless.

Hoping for a compliant libOpenCL.so in the not too distant future

Comment

Best part: OpenCL C99 and not another effing C++11 only stack.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
              *10 minute Power Guitar solo*

This is very good. Maybe in another two years, AMD will be a solid choice for anyone wanting to use their hardware for Linux.
              It's been a solid choice for a very long time. Linux is the best platform for AMD CPUs. They also provide great open source drivers. There's a reason why China made an announcement that they were buying 10,000,000 AMD GPUs to go alongside with their homegrown MIPS-based processors because NVIDIA refused to disclose their source code while AMD was more than happy to provide all the documentation and code they wanted on Linux.

Comment

I think China wanted the source code so that they could be sure the NSA didn't secretly install a backdoor into the driver.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                  There's a reason why China made an announcement that they were buying 10,000,000 AMD GPUs
                  link?

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                    I think China wanted the source code so that they could be sure the NSA didn't secretly install a backdoor into the driver.
                    not sure if serious

Comment

Working...
                    X