Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Escapee from Nvidia: What AMD cards work best on Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
    Why? What's wrong with an "outdated" card? Especially since (s)he's not going to use the proprietary drivers?
    Very easy: it was also stupid to buy HD 4 series cards for OSS drivers as there have been new ones already. It is just a matter of time till OSS support will be there. But I would not by AMD for Linux in first place.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      Why? What's wrong with an "outdated" card? Especially since (s)he's not going to use the proprietary drivers?
      AMD employees put most of their effort in supporting their latest architecture. RadeonSI already caught up with r600g some time ago, so it's only a matter of time before r600g won't be able to compete against it at all.

Finding outdated cards at a good price is also an issue. You can usually order a much more powerful and energy-efficient modern card for the price of an outdated one.

Comment

Hi! I'm glad you all read my post. It appears that reading is not the strong suit of one or two people. That's alright, I'm here to help.

If you can recall, Nvidia has been the major culprit of trashing my desktop usage for some months now. So no, I'm not interested.

If one is very astute it would be clear that I recognize a chance of failure. I'm sorry to be trying something new. If it turns out weaker than I'd like then oh, well, better luck next time. There's the positive of getting rid of this nasty blob for once.

I'm finding one or two pretty cheap deals on some cards and I may take one up since they're not much. It'll give me a good entryway into this strange new world. The more recent cards will have to wait as I'm not interested in that bug pointed out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          I would absolutely never buy an outdated gfx card. If you really want something from amd get the latest one, but selling the nvidia card before you tested it is stupid, bet try and send back in time
          Seconded.

@OP

As Kano says plus do not buy very new and very high class Radeons too if you plan to use opensource driver, somehow the best reasonable performers in radeon driver are cards/chips from middle-high class but from previous generation .

Comment

Look at this

r600g with Evergreen or N.Islands looks nice
            But keep in mind: This feature matrix is for updates drivers. Ubuntu drivers still sucks. Obaif ppa MAYBE help. Fedora/ArchLinux will offer better(updated) drivers for you...

Comment

I wouldn't personally buy older than GCN at this point

Comment

Just want to pitch in with my experience. I have had a radeon 7950 for 2-3 years now and I am running catalyst. I have a rock-solid desktop with sabayon and KDE. I haven't any crashed or had any problems at all with gaming or similar (run games like DOTA2, LFD2, Civ 5, Metro Last Light, and now latest Borderlands Presequal), so I warmly recommend this card for you.

Comment

R7 260x

Recently, I replaced my 6870 with a R7 260X. Their performances are close to each other but R7 260X has less power consumption, DPM (6870 had issues with older kernels), VCE, potential Mantle support, GLAMOR, more active development of its driver and you can find it on the shelves easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Modu View Post
                    Recently, I replaced my 6870 with a R7 260X. Their performances are close to each other but R7 260X has less power consumption, DPM (6870 had issues with older kernels), VCE, potential Mantle support, GLAMOR, more active development of its driver and you can find it on the shelves easily.
                    Haha, I did literally the same thing :P Now looking at the R9 285 because of being able to use AMDGPU when it drops and 4GB VRAM cards are avaible :P

Comment

It looks like you aren't in a huge rush, so why not wait for a couple of months until the new AMD open-source driver is released, and then you can pick up an R9 285?

Comment

Working...
                      X