Cant get working Kaveri APU - A10-7850k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dekoski View Post
    Believe me if I tell you it is not so obvious to me.

Regards.
    ?scar.
    FWIW Freenode/#radeon is most likely a better end-user support for open AMD drivers than this forum

Comment

I have A10-7850K + MSI A88XM GAMING + AMD 2400MHz RAM (Patriot 2133MHz in past) and it works without problems with Ubuntu 14.04 x64 + Catalyst 14.9.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
        Nonsense, I've been running a laptop with an A4-5000 without any bugs at all for the last year or so -- perfect hardware acceleration with every kernel and mesa version. It even works well on OpenCL benchmarks with Gallium.
        Good for you. Now go brag somewhere else so that the kernel developers working on this issue don't have to listen to distractions and noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          Good for you. Now go brag somewhere else so that the kernel developers working on this issue don't have to listen to distractions and noise.
          That's the dumbest thing I've read this week. This isn't a bug reporting platform -- kernel developers aren't using Phoronix to track bugs, especially bugs that don't exist. You claiming that A4-5000 doesn't have good support on Linux with Gallium3D is pure misinformation.

Comment

Hi everybody and thanks for your information.

As I suspect mine is a HW error (also checked with win7 and computer does not boot after installing video drivers) I've asked for an RMA of the CPU. When I got it back I'll post the results of reinstalling Ubunto with mesa (if possible) or Catalyst.

Thanks again.
            ?scar.

Comment

That's the dumbest thing I've read this week. This isn't a bug reporting platform -- kernel developers aren't using Phoronix to track bugs, especially bugs that don't exist. You claiming that A4-5000 doesn't have good support on Linux with Gallium3D is pure misinformation.
              Typical Linux arrogance: the "if it doesn't happen on my machine it doesn't exist and everybody else are liars" attitude.

Toodles.

Comment

Typical Windows ignorance: the "if it doesn't work for me on a heavily outdated distro lacking updated firmware, it doesn't work for anyone" mantra. Considering A4-5000 is a SoC, if it was broken for one person, it would be broken for everyone. However, that is not so. There's nothing special about my A4-5000 SoC that differs from anyone elses'.

Fun fact: neither of those links prove that AMD A4-5000 hardware acceleration is broken on Linux for anyone. It just further reiterates the point that if you want good open source driver support for modern hardware, you should be using an updated Linux distro that supports your hardware. If you are using a kernel and mesa release from before the release of the Kabini APUs, it's a no brainer that it wouldn't work.

Considering I've been using this A4-5000 APU daily for the last year and consistently updating to every new kernel and mesa release in that timeframe, there's absolutely no logical reason that anyone else would not have hardware acceleration unless they are using ancient Linux distributions with old kernels/firmware/mesa drivers made before support was mainlined.

Code:
                [mmstick@mmstick-laptop ~]$ uname -a
                Linux mmstick-laptop 3.17.2-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Oct 30 20:49:39 CET 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                [mmstick@mmstick-laptop ~]$ grep name /proc/cpuinfo | head -1
                model name	: AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics
                [mmstick@mmstick-laptop ~]$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
                OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
                OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD KABINI
                OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.3.2
                OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
                OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
                OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
                OpenGL core profile extensions:
                OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2
                OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
                OpenGL context flags: (none)
                OpenGL extensions:
                OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2
                OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.0
                OpenGL ES profile extensions:
                [mmstick@mmstick-laptop ~]$ journalctl --since today | grep dpm
                Nov 03 05:56:56 mmstick-laptop kernel: [drm] radeon: dpm initialized
                If AMD A4-5000 was broken, then how do you explain that DPM works perfectly along with GL 3.3 support? There may be some DPM problems with a few desktop APUs on Asrock motherboards and RadeonSI GPUs, but there are none for the A4-5000 SoC.

Comment

Typical Windows ignorance: the "if it doesn't work for me on a heavily outdated distro lacking updated firmware, it doesn't work for anyone" mantra. Considering A4-5000 is a SoC, if it was broken for one person, it would be broken for everyone. However, that is not so. There's nothing special about my A4-5000 SoC that differs from anyone elses'.

Fun fact: neither of those links prove that AMD A4-5000 hardware acceleration is broken on Linux for anyone. It just further reiterates the point that if you want good open source driver support for modern hardware, you should be using an updated Linux distro that supports your hardware. If you are using a kernel and mesa release from before the release of the Kabini APUs, it's a no brainer that it wouldn't work.
                  Tell the Fedora 20 developers that their kernels and Mesa is out of date. I'm sure everyone will have a good laugh.

Comment

Not all hardware is equal, and from what I've read, AMD hardware is particularly diverse...

Comment

Originally posted by Dekoski View Post
                      Hi,

I have the following system:

AMD A10-7850K 3.7Ghz - AD785KXBJABOX
                      AsRock FM2A88X Extreme4+
                      G.Skill Ares DDR3 2133 PC3-17000 16GB 2x8GB CL10 - F3-2133C10D-16GABATA KINGSTON SV300S3 SSD
                      I don't know what's wrong but don't despair, the same configuration works for me. Same APU, the Extreme6+ model of the same motherboard and 2 x F3-2400C10-8GTX for RAM using the free drivers on Arch. Never tried Catalyst though.

Comment

Working...
                      X