Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future AMD GPUs To Be More Open-Source Friendly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, currently even the cheapest NV or onboard Intel gfx card is better using XV. That's why I usally use my box with NV card for videos.

Comment

Is it fair to say that the rendering/scaling part of video acceleration (done by xv or through opengl) is the first priority, not the decoding part (done by xvmc) ?

I'm asking because (a) my understanding is that a modern CPU can do a pretty good job of the decoding part these days, at least for SD, and (b) we use shaders for some of the rendinging work on 5xx and above parts, implying that we need basic 3d functionality in place first so that the shaders can be used for scaling etc...

What I expect is that we will provide info and support to get basic 3d running, then from that point two things will happen in parallel -- using the 3d engine for some video acceleration work, and continuing to evolve the 3d acceleration.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by an0n1m0us View Post
        I'd just like to put my two cents in. I've got an R500 series card and I purchased it for nothing but video decoding. I couldn't give a toss about gaming and hence 3D acceleration.

If there's any chance video acceleration can be prioritised over gaming acceleration, I'm all for it!
        I can say that the closed source driver has video acceleration if you enable Xvideo support in the config file. just using the r500 to render will reduce cpu usage on linux by a ton with this only.

Comment

I just bought an 2600Pro because of the open documentation announcement. I am in the process of building a PVR system using MythTV. And now I read that the one part that I plan to use, video decoding, will not be documented!
          My first thought was that they must be joking. But I realize that this is not the case.
          What a ($!#@@$@, now I must find a way to return my AMD based motherboard and videocard, and trade those for an Intel G35 based board with on-board graphics. I hope the store will accept that.

Comment

There's always Ebay...

Comment

Originally posted by joho View Post
              I just bought an 2600Pro because of the open documentation announcement. I am in the process of building a PVR system using MythTV. And now I read that the one part that I plan to use, video decoding, will not be documented!
              My first thought was that they must be joking. But I realize that this is not the case.
              What a ($!#@@$@, now I must find a way to return my AMD based motherboard and videocard, and trade those for an Intel G35 based board with on-board graphics. I hope the store will accept that.
              You do not need to completely sell the whole rig... you could look in to switching to either the FGLRX Binary blob at least until the major features used by mytv are set, or get an nvidia graphics card ( and use their binary blob.) ...oh, and on a side note, it usually takes about 2 years for the documentation to usable driver to happen, and that's a safe estimate, because this next release will include initial DRM information for the gpu.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandel View Post
                You do not need to completely sell the whole rig... you could look in to switching to either the FGLRX Binary blob at least until the major features used by mytv are set, or get an nvidia graphics card ( and use their binary blob.) ...oh, and on a side note, it usually takes about 2 years for the documentation to usable driver to happen, and that's a safe estimate, because this next release will include initial DRM information for the gpu.
                well, in this particular case i expect that the time would be considerably reduced. usually opensource project didn't have people who would work directly on them and this could speed up the process. i personally expect a good driver before the second half of 2008 or in the beginning of it and a good 3d accelerated driver in the first quarter of 2009. we'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

Working...
                X