X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nille_kungen
    replied
    @bridgman Thanks for the answer.
    I myself think this sounds like a good thing and i hope it turns out to be better for both drivers.
    I think AMD gets better Linux support both open and closed source in small steps all the time and i see this as next step.
    I remember when there was no working AMD driver at all and now we have real good open source drivers and a blob for the things Radeon can't handle yet.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Let say at some point we all need some performance workaround in kernel MM sharable part which is needed for both, but works best on blob GL while being just good enough for mesa... and we also know it can be workarounded differently to play the best for mesa but not for blob... what will you choose there?

Is that depends who asking?
    Are you asking about the case where a performance optimization in the kernel helps the closed source UMD more than the open source UMD because of lower overhead in the closed source UMD ? In that case there isn't really a choice.

You seem to be asking about a case where there's a design tradeoff between open and closed source drivers, but since the user-kernel interface will be the same I don't see that coming up very often. If you're talking about defaults or tuning values for heuristics I imagine we would just make them configurable and configure differently depending on which stack was installed.

Even there the differences tend to be more a function of usage scenarios than driver stacks, eg some workstation users want a single app to be able to consume all the resources in the system for optimal performance and see that as a Must Have, while for most systems that is considered a Bad Thing since it can cause problems for other apps.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Yep, we're moving components over to open source and putting more resources on open source components because we want the blob to be better...
    Let say at some point we all need some performance workaround in kernel MM sharable part which is needed for both, but works best on blob GL while being just good enough for mesa... and we also know it can be workarounded differently to play the best for mesa but not for blob... what will you choose there?

Is that depends who asking?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
    It seems that there will be better cooperation between the closed and open source Linux driver teams, how will it benefit open source? (excluding shared code parts)
    The whole idea is that most of the stack *will* be shared code parts, and that's where the bulk of the benefit will accrue.

Will it help in releasing document faster in the future?
    Releasing - no, but other changes are in process which will eventually help there. It will probably help with finding correct info more quickly and hence with writing the docs.

Will it help with magic numbers and with understanding HW better/faster in the future?
    Understanding HW better/faster yes, magic numbers probably not (since magic numbers generally result from understanding too much, not too little ).

Will you cooperate closer about other things as well and not only the shared code?
    We've been doing that for a while now, probably will continue to increase.

Will i with amdgpu be able to use open source for everything and use the blob for only one game in the same x session? (switch userspace in active session)
    The initial plan is one stack or the other, ie no N-way interoperation between arbitrary sets of components. The Linux gfx stack is still "one GL driver at a time" for now anyways, although work is being done to change that. Andy Richter talked about latest plans/status at XDC.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    We all know at some point there will be not equality like that, one must prevail and i guess AMD will want that to be blob...
    Yep, we're moving components over to open source and putting more resources on open source components because we want the blob to be better...

Leave a comment:

• Nille_kungen
    replied
    It seems that there will be better cooperation between the closed and open source Linux driver teams, how will it benefit open source? (excluding shared code parts)
    Will it help in releasing document faster in the future?
    Will it help with magic numbers and with understanding HW better/faster in the future?
    Will you cooperate closer about other things as well and not only the shared code?

Will i with amdgpu be able to use open source for everything and use the blob for only one game in the same x session? (switch userspace in active session)

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by MartinN View Post
    So 'dungeon', do you have an alternative to capitalism? I'd like to hear it.
    Well can i let Alex answer this by this comment, he talks there about driver "equality" which is typical for some politics opposite to capitalism

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    I don't see why this is any more of an advantage to the closed source driver than it is to the open source driver. Both driver stacks will now have more developers working on the shared components. More developers working on modesetting, memory management, power management, etc.
    We all know at some point there will be not equality like that, one must prevail and i guess AMD will want that to be blob... when i hit things which cannot be changed because of blob supported there, i probably go home with my out of tree patch .

Leave a comment:

• xeekei
    replied
    Originally posted by oleid View Post
    I think this was one reason for AMD to go the open source way. The foundation supports Wayland and Ubuntu will probably provide patches.
    I know, but it wasn't clear in either the slides or the video. Alex Deucher also says "X" quite a bit, which worries me.

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    Originally posted by xeekei View Post
    Will this new driver come with Wayland/Mir support?
    I think this was one reason for AMD to go the open source way. The foundation supports Wayland and Ubuntu will probably provide patches.

Leave a comment:

• xeekei
    replied
    Will this new driver come with Wayland/Mir support?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X