No announcement yet.

The Slides Announcing The New "AMDGPU" Kernel Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What i really hate is that you need a new gfx card to try that and you need to package still fglrx for all other cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      What i really hate is that you need a new gfx card to try that and you need to package still fglrx for all other cards.
      I don't understand why radeon is not in Debian's contrib section (it will probably be after this if fully packaged), it depends on non-free firmwares to be used? And now there are even more blobs depend/suggest or whatever. Packaging method even more after this crying to be differently done for radeon in Debian .
      Last edited by dungeon; 09 October 2014, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Does not matter for me anyway, I use Ubuntu kernel (recompiled with static AHCI)/firmware packages on Debian/Kanotix. But I can not see any gain in that change as long as fglrx in the old way is still needed for lots of cards. There will be no better Xserver or kernel support that way, this is just pure shit.

Comment

Does not matter for me anyway, I use Ubuntu kernel (recompiled with static AHCI)/firmware packages on Debian/Kanotix. But I can not see any gain in that change as long as fglrx in the old way is still needed for lots of cards. There will be no better Xserver or kernel support that way, this is just pure shit.
          Yep, shit it is but they will probably drop fglrx support for some (if not all ) chips next year . Lets hope it will be better when they stay only with this unified amdgpu driver
          Last edited by dungeon; 09 October 2014, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Sure. If they drop support before radeon has OpenGL 4 support then somebody really should sue em. All curently supported chips by fglrx support OpenGL 4.

Comment

Sure. If they drop support before radeon has OpenGL 4 support then somebody really should sue em. All curently supported chips by fglrx support OpenGL 4.
              I mean fglrx will drop support, not radeon . Of course you mean that, but i don't think decision depends on what radeon driver do - if they drop it on Windows at that time, it will be droped here too
              Last edited by dungeon; 09 October 2014, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Kano, the new stack will use the same GL driver as the old stack.
                Test signature

Comment

why they won't support all gcn based cards for new amdgpu module it's still shame after all and hehe they probably would give such answer "we want to sell new cards and older cards we don't care too much because wee have sold already" most evil thing ever

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Kano, the new stack will use the same GL driver as the old stack.
                    Did you notice that an extra driver for new cards only is the most stupid idea somebody can have? It does not matter at all if the userspace part is shared. When a New xserver/kernel is out expect fglrx broken until Ubuntu uses it. Thats a fact, not even the officially released 14.9 driver has xserver 1.16 support and the driver for Ubuntu needs a patch for kernel 3.17. As long as there are cards that need it you have MORE work than before and not less!

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      Yep, shit it is but they will probably drop fglrx support for some (if not all ) chips next year . Lets hope it will be better when they stay only with this unified amdgpu driver
                      Could you provide a source for this information, please?

Comment

Working...
                      X