The Slides Announcing The New "AMDGPU" Kernel Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by entropy View Post
    Edit: Or ist that the blob is userland only?
    Bingo !
    Test signature

Comment

I really love the AMD way! With every catalyst release for me more and more steam games work in wine! Sorry, had to say that :P

Just wondering, linux Mantle is not in focus anymore/at the moment? *eyes to "Thief"*
      Lockheed

Comment

Does this effect the upcoming Carrizo APUs or the generation after Carrizo?

Comment

Mantle?

Originally posted by lockheed02 View Post
          I really love the AMD way! With every catalyst release for me more and more steam games work in wine! Sorry, had to say that :P

Just wondering, linux Mantle is not in focus anymore/at the moment? *eyes to "Thief"*
          Lockheed
          Second on the Mantle question. I do hope it ends up being OGL5, but I'd still like to know if this is supposed to make it in the blob.

Comment

I just want to say that i'm very happy with the way AMD is planning to implement this

The closed source blob (working in userland) will use same interface to communicate as the open source so i don't see why Linus and the others will reject this.

I also wonder what this means to Carrizo APU...possibly it will not cover it but we will see.

Comment

This new architectures is really a good news for us ! And for AMD !
              The power of open-source is the synergy.

Thanks AMD, and thanks to all the Radeon developers. I enjoy your work every day

Originally posted by entropy View Post
              However, how big is the chance this attempt will be rejected?
              Do you really think AMD haven't already brainstormed about that ?
              Of course it will be accepted. If not, then the open-source driver will not work too.

Comment

not even r9 200? well, that would be a big nothing.

Comment

AMD gets it

Way to go AMD, you guys 'get' it.

In today's world, if you want to stay in business, you better sell parts.
                  To do that properly, you _need_ to integrate well with Linux.
                  To do that properly, you Open Source your code as much as you can.
                  And if you manage to attract a community, then you'll get the extra bonus of more effort for 'free'.

Way to go!

And the added bonus for Linux is that this whole thing will make nVidia think a few more time about the future of their products :-)

Comment

For the closed-source blobs it looks like there's going to be an open-source but potentially not upstreamed set of interfaces as a shim to then interact with the libdrm_amdgpu component.
                    I think you misinterpreted something there, Micheal. There will be no shims required for the blob to interact with libdrm_amdgpu, the only "open source but maybe not upstreamed" components are the Fire Pro(tm) addons...
                    Did you accidentally think that the dotted line around the "blob components" was the yellow color in the legend? Because it's around the FOSS components too :P

Comment

The AMDGPU kernel driver is only going to support new, unreleased hardware while the current Radeon driver stack won't be enabled for these future "Pirate Islands" Rx 300 series hardware.

?????? only new????

I'm sorry but amd no more, I'm waiting for a good driver for my apu a8 5600k, I have problems with opensource drivers and sound https://www.libreoffice.org/bugzilla...g.cgi?id=76837

and the catalyst driver is a mess. NO MORE AMD

Comment

Working...
                      X