AMD Moves Forward With Unified Linux Driver Strategy, New Kernel Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by somini View Post
    Support nightmare, I would imagine. 2 drivers for each card?
    We survived radeonhd, didn't we?

AMD's decision will only make better PowerExpress/Enduro support more elusive.

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
      So wait... this is a new open-source kernel driver, but AMD won't accept patches that enable older hardware?

Why?
      Lets guess, fglrx too will not support old

1K posts - cheers to me

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
        So wait... this is a new open-source kernel driver, but AMD won't accept patches that enable older hardware?

Why?
        I don't think this is what they were saying.
        Sounds to me like AMD will not provide support for older hardware. If someone brings patches I doubt they will refuse to merge them.

Comment

I wish Nvidia would do the same.

Maybe they could even re-use some of the code by AMD?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I wish Nvidia would do the same.

Maybe they could even re-use some of the code by AMD?
            Like what, the window frame to catalyst control center? There isn't any code nvidia could use - the hardware is a whole other "species". That's like trying to teach a hamster to act like a fish.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
              I don't think this is what they were saying.
              Sounds to me like AMD will not provide support for older hardware. If someone brings patches I doubt they will refuse to merge them.
              They didn't even say that. They only said that there are no current plans. There is no reference to future plans and future plans can arise and change due to changing market conditions...including patches submitted by 3rd parties. If you worked PR, wouldn't you want to avoid at all costs over-promising and embarrassing everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Like what, the window frame to catalyst control center? There isn't any code nvidia could use - the hardware is a whole other "species". That's like trying to teach a hamster to act like a fish.
                Well that proprietary Nvidia and open source Nouvoue driver share code.

And maybe share interfaces with AMD code.
                Doesn't have to re-use the same code, but can implement the same interfaces maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Well that proprietary Nvidia and open source Nouvoue driver share code.

And maybe share interfaces with AMD code.
                  Doesn't have to re-use the same code, but can implement the same interfaces maybe.
                  In a world ideal for customers, that would be nice. Realistically, that wouldn't happen even if you paid and petitioned them to.

Comment

Does this means that features like Crossfire support or Eyefinity could be open-sourced?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      That's like trying to teach a hamster to act like a fish.
                      And that was the last we heard from Mr. Tibbs.

Comment

Working...
                      X