AMD Catalyst 14.9 Officially Released For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@entropy

Most rumors expects HSA will be there something like around february 2015.

Comment

No Xserver 1.16

From the release notes:
      • Xorg/Xserver 7.4 and above (up to 1.15)
      • Linux kernel 2.6 or above (up to 3.15)

I really don't get it why they don't support Xorg/Xserver 1.16 when they already provided drivers that do for Ubuntu and Debian.

Comment

yes

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
        More like spending 2 years whining about it. I have seen you posts. This is a major change in AMDs driver strategy, and it has great potential to make something good.

great potencial, lol we will see, buy a laptop with hybrid graphics and see my point, nightmare even in windows.. i hope amd do something good in future i have a apu, a hd4850 and i have no problem to buy another gpu if they provide good support, but i will wait and see

Comment

Catalyst 14.9 has excellent performance for me and all the small artifarcts on the screen from 14.6 are suddently gone.
          I would have to test again but it could easily be double the performance on R9 290. Or am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by gerddie View Post
            From the release notes:

I really don't get it why they don't support Xorg/Xserver 1.16 when they already provided drivers that do for Ubuntu and Debian.
            For the same reason as always. Stable driver releases are bound to the windows counterpart. That one needs a WHQL signature. It takes money and a lot of time to get it from MS. Probably you'll see xorg support in a beta driver, that doesn't rely on the windows release schedule.

Comment

[*]Linux kernel 2.6 or above (up to 3.15)
              Just installed it on 3.16. Release notes is not correct.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                @entropy

Most rumors expects HSA will be there something like around february 2015.
                Hmm...maybe about the same time that Tonga graphics series is to be released (The Rx 300 series). These seem to be very beneficial to linux users since they are said to have HSA cababilites and linux is the only(?) os that has support for that right now...

(Correct me if I am wrong here, I am not at all secure about this, just red an article about it on a swedish site).

Comment

Xserver 1.16

From the release notes:

Me too.

@Michael:
                  "Tong[a]-based GPU"

Comment

This driver (just like 14.6) gives me the following errors:
                    [Error] Kernel Module : Failed to build fglrx-14.301.1001 with DKMS
                    [Error] Kernel Module : Removing fglrx-14.301.1001 from DKMS

How can i fix this (is is bad, can it be ignored?)

Comment

Originally posted by idanny View Post
                      This driver (just like 14.6) gives me the following errors:
                      [Error] Kernel Module : Failed to build fglrx-14.301.1001 with DKMS
                      [Error] Kernel Module : Removing fglrx-14.301.1001 from DKMS

How can i fix this (is is bad, can it be ignored?)
                      Yes it's bad, acceleration will not work. What Linux distribution do You use?

In case of ubuntu:
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic dbs fakeroot build-essential dh-make debconf execstack dh-modaliases debhelper dkms
                      And then reinstall fglrx packages.
                      Last edited by leonmaxx; 30 September 2014, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X