A Future Catalyst Update Will Improve CS:GO's Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by byteframe View Post
    Valve's source linux port is crap. It uses like 3 times the RAM, and runs better in CSMT wine, anyway. Valve's work is woefully unimpressive, and they've overextended themselves.
    Why do you think they are designing Source 2 engine? I fail to see how porting Steam to Linux, pushing developers to support Linux, creating SteamOS and actually releasing their entire category of games on Linux natively is 'unimpressive'. They've put a lot more work and effort than any other game developer out there.

Comment

Originally posted by byteframe View Post
      Valve's source linux port is crap. It uses like 3 times the RAM, and runs better in CSMT wine, anyway. Valve's work is woefully unimpressive, and they've overextended themselves.
      That is about it, they target DirectX 10 hardware as minimum or better to say here OpenGL 3.3 hardware for their Linux source games, so with that in mind it is pretty normal hardware requirements go up.

So yeah you need newer hardware on Linux to run their *same* but native games, that is nothing unexpected

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
        Why do you think they are designing Source 2 engine? I fail to see how porting Steam to Linux, pushing developers to support Linux, creating SteamOS and actually releasing their entire category of games on Linux natively is 'unimpressive'. They've put a lot more work and effort than any other game developer out there.
        It would seem they need to develop a new engine because external wined3d does a better job of untangling their d3d codebase then their own internal togl layer.

So, gaming on linux requires 8gb of ram and an nvidia card? That's embarrassing. That sucks. The latter of course isn't valve's fault, but it won't change until AMD goes out of business or just dumps all their code out on the net with permissible license. If AMD could support their own products, I wouldnt have made the obvious choice to use the superior nvidia solution when I had my old quake 3 linux tin, at what... 14-15 years ago? There's no hope for AMD users (sorry pal), Nvidia will continue to dominate the opengl landscape because they are the only ones with a working implementation.

All the enthusiasm is great; the hullabaloo IS exciting, and I love chatting about this stuff (y'all are wonderful people), but as the glorious future of the steam machine slips further and further down the rabbit hole, developers will start to wonder what the point is of spending all these man hours porting their games. Assuming a best case scenario 50% of all titles will be ported, but apparently will have the potential to run slower and heavier (with new classes of bugs related directly to the porting effort) and will also require more expensive hardware -- in the blessed living room where things are meant to be small and quiet.

Let's also not negate the existence of mobile/embedded + arm/android, and that wackintosh stuff. Will game devs be told they have to port their game _again_? Are we gonna let some shiester middleware company barf out their own proprietary drengus (ala Witcher2)? The solution to multi-platform gaming (short of cloning an army of programmers from some of ryan c. gordon's skin flakes) is a free software translation layer for the windows api. Good thing we have one of those. Surely Mr. Carmack can't be the only other person who agrees with this.

Valve certainly took up a monumental task, and it will be a very long journey whichever path you take, but they decided to take the path that involves wasting tons of time getting everybody to port old games, instead of just sponsoring wine development. Dare I say it? We'd be years closer to HL3 if they went with the latter option. Instead, we're currently stuck in some years-long staging period where everybody is coming to the realization that linux gaming sucks, because the drivers suck, because opengl sucks.

As it stands now, I have SteamWine and steam linux, and the only games I play actively are source based and they will run better through wine. After seeing CSGOlinux take 5 minutes to load a map, I moved all the source games back to the wineprefix. I'll keep the steam linux install around for the occasional romp through another game, yet since this requires me to logout from steam/wine, and transition to steam/linux, this feels an awful lot like dual booting, which basically brings me back full circle to when I was 12 years old and had a windows partition. Been there, done that.

Comment

AMD's recent driver push is encouraging. Either they get it right fairly soon or I'm going green team with my next GPU.
          I wont drop AMD CPU's though.

Comment

Des anybody really think that AMD will optimize a driver that you don't need to buy a new card to play a several years old game with Linux even when it would run fine in Windows with an old card? Maybe they can fix some little issues but i would never buy AMD hardware for Linux gaming. I only have got HD 5670 cards, even 3 oft em, just too short CF cables to run all in parallel. But CF only works on Windows, on Linux games run offen slower or at best you get the same speed with CF as without.

Comment

Well, instead of complaining here, try complaining at amd support.

Or better yet, try to purchase nvidia hardware in future if you can help it.
              Yes, it works better on linux, but it's because they cared enough about linux for long time, at least on businness level.
              This is the crucial difference between the two and why you should pick one over the other.
              And also aaron platner gets shit done.
              Last edited by Guest; 28 September 2014, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Fine that they are adding stuff and looking into issues. Seems the fglrx team finally woke up in terms of Linux/SteamOS. Good move.
                But I think it is ridiculous that you have to write the driver around games now. It is sad that things get so complicated that you have to put in quirk after quirk (or call it plugins, driver behaviour schemes) for each game. One would have thought years ago that a driver implements some API like openGL and talks to the hardware and games/appl. just talk openGL instructions to the driver.
                All that also leads to benchmark "profiles" so drivers will perform differently in benchmarks. So a lot of common benchmarks are useless cause the result is a lie. And that is sadly true for both nv, amd-ati and intel.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                X