Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming Catalyst Linux Driver Offers HSA & VCE Support

Phoronix: Upcoming Catalyst Linux Driver Offers HSA & VCE Support

While AMD just released its first OpenCL 2.0 Linux driver, which is marked fglrx 14.41, the next driver that's currently in testing is fglrx 14.50... This should be more interesting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This driver have VCE support for trinity-richland APUs????

Last edited by pinguinpc; 25 September 2014, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I already switched to radeon.
      Even 14.6beta was not working correctly on my R9-270.
      With radeon from debian experimental, I am now a happy user.

Comment

is this just for kaveri and beema/mullins APU's, or will it work with modern GCN AMD GPU products on a traditional CPU system?

I understand latency over the PCIe bus makes [useful] HSA support on traditional PC setups difficult.
        Likewise, i understand (perhaps incorrectly), that HSA requires IOMMU support of at least v2.5 (kaveri).

Comment

I think AMD is once again on the wrong track. They keep improving and adding features almost nobody uses, while ignoring things that affect literally every single AMD user. (Performance, stuttering etc.) A wonder how many people will use OpenCL or these three-letter-codename-fetures outside of synthetic benchmarks while keep struggling in real 3D applications.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            I think AMD is once again on the wrong track. They keep improving and adding features almost nobody uses, while ignoring things that affect literally every single AMD user. (Performance, stuttering etc.) A wonder how many people will use OpenCL or these three-letter-codename-fetures outside of synthetic benchmarks while keep struggling in real 3D applications.
            Looks like someone *again* forgot home gamers aren't the main target group of fglrx

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
              is this just for kaveri and beema/mullins APU's, or will it work with modern GCN AMD GPU products on a traditional CPU system?
              No HSA is only posibile because of APU nature that GPU and CPU share same memory. Basically posible only on SoCs both x86 and ARM, or whatever SoC is designed that way to share same memory... So traditional dedicated card with his own memory is no go for HSA.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                All professional "graphics" apps start to utilize OpenCL somehow.

And 2.0 is big upgrade, so more of those apps are comming.

And HSA is sometimes about... replacing libs with AMD provided versions. While you gain... Performance.
                Not to meantion that this whole HSA goes toward selfsuficient GPU... Which is holy grail of Mantle/DX12/OpenGL Next too.

HSA is not against current trends. Its just acceleration of them

Comment

nothing of this, will improve the bad situation that suffer my trinity apu

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    Looks like someone *again* forgot home gamers aren't the main target group of fglrx
                    Even one of the biggest game platform "forgot" about this: Valve's SteamOS is using fglrx.

Comment

Working...
                    X