Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is AtomBIOS & These Different Drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiseat support ?

Hi there, nowadays i use radeon driver for my multiseat configuration (kubuntu 10.4 lucid lynx, 2.6.32 kernel, Xorg 7.5, two HD3870 cards).
    I didn't tried radeonhd yet but fglrx don't work for me.
    When i'm starting the second X server, the computer freeze instantly.
    In the Xorg.log, a segmentation fault is reported.
    My question : is multiseat (multiple X servers) support expected for fglrx in version > 10.5 ? (i tried 10.4 and 10.5)
    Thanks
    Last edited by Sebsan; 28 May 2010, 05:23 AM. Reason: Forgotten Title

Comment

There are specific aticonfig parameters required for the setup you want - something along the lines of --initial=dualhead --adapters=all or something like that.

What aticonfig line did you use after installation ?
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        There are specific aticonfig parameters required for the setup you want - something along the lines of --initial=dualhead --adapters=all or something like that.

What aticonfig line did you use after installation ?
        Thanks for your answer.
        Hum, i only used aticonfig --initial to get a clean xorg.conf then i modified it for 2 Server Layouts.
        It's sufficient with radeon driver.
        I failed finding precise aticonfig options documentation for multiple X servers configuration.
        I'm not in dual head mode, i have one graphic card with one output by X server with the -isloateDevice PCI:2:0:0 clause for exemple for the first seat.

Comment

Look at the end of the aticonfig --help output for configuration options. That's where it was the last time I looked anyways.

Configuration of the radeon and fglrx drivers is done quite differently; don't assume that something you set up for radeon will work for fglrx or vice versa.

If you are running a hand-tweaked xorg.conf then save a copy and include the -f option when you run aticonfig to give it more freedom when making changes.
          Test signature

Comment

If i understand you, fglrx is already "multiseat-ready" ? ;-)
            It would just be a configuration problem.
            Have you ever experimented this kind of setup ?
            I ask you this because multiseat configs looks like to be rare and suffers of a big lack of documentation and experimentation.

Comment

Multiseat is not a supported use case for fglrx as far as I know; I doubt we even test it. That said, support for multiple screens on multiple cards *is* a core use case, so the jump from what we support to what you want shouldn't be too big.

Search for some of mtippett's earlier posts on this. Most of them related to multicard but not multiseat; I didn't turn up much with a quick search. You may have more luck without the dual-head parm; I'm just going from what I have read, haven't played with multiseat myself.
              Test signature

Comment

Multiseat is not a supported use case for fglrx as far as I know; I doubt we even test it. That said, support for multiple screens on multiple cards *is* a core use case, so the jump from what we support to what you want shouldn't be too big.
                Year ! I agree : "Multiseat" = "multiple screens on multiple cards" + "evdev input devices filtering"

The "evdev input devices filtering" already works very well...

I'm just going from what I have read, haven't played with multiseat myself.
                You should try ;-)
                I run two desktop sessions under KDM 4, one with a VMware WinXP 2 cpu virtual machine for my wife (with a 33 meters long vga/rj45 cable).
                On a Core i7 920 / X58 based machine, office working and playing films on both side takes only 15% system loading... impressive isn't it ? I didn't expect this performance level.

Well, thank you for your explanations, i will search for more info on the forum.

Regards,

S?bastien

Comment

One more for the road :

- Is Catalyst 10.5 XRandR 1.3 compliant ?

I could experiment that 10.4 wasn't XRandR 1.2 compliant but 10.5 yes...

The main difference between XRandR 1.2 and 1.3 is the correct multiple X servers support if i?m not wrong ...

Do you follow me ?

Comment

multi-gpu support was proposed for randr 1.3, but it was a lot of work and no one implemented it. randr 1.3 added some standardized output properties and a "primary" flag for desktops to choose which monitor was the primary.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                      multi-gpu support was proposed for randr 1.3, but it was a lot of work and no one implemented it. randr 1.3 added some standardized output properties and a "primary" flag for desktops to choose which monitor was the primary.
                      I use it on my multiseat config and it works pretty well.

Each seat attached to its own display can define its own screen mode separately... without any problem.

My problem is just the radeon driver. I can't use the component TV output and it's not compliant with VMWare for 3D acceleration.

fglrx works well with WMware and TV output but crash the kernel on multiseat mode when the second X server starts.

I will try with radeonhd to see...

Comment

Working...
                      X