AMD Catalyst 7.12 Linux Driver -- The Baby's In Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Compxpert View Post
    Wow that really worked. Didn't have everything setup properly the first time so it didn't work. There was a nice guide on what to do too. Works great.
    could you post the link of the guide, so that other users may use it if they have this problem?

stop trying to figure out about resolution bugs, let's wait patiently three weeks for another _crappy_ _ati_ release solving this but breaking something else.

aren't we used to it?
    why is it that you want me to not try helping out other people who have problems? this issue could also not be solved in the new release so if we can figure out a way of making things work before it gets out then it's better.

Comment

• Although it is for gentoo there may be the same utility available for other distributions. All you really need to know is how to read edid info that your monitor gives you and then put it in a mode line.
      For people with my monitor (Samsung 226BW) Your modeline looks like this:
      Code:
      Modeline "1680x1050@60" 119.00 1680 1728 1760 1840 1050 1053 1059 1080
      Although it does not say it in the article you also will need to add this down in your screen section:
      Code:
      Section "Screen"
              Identifier "Screen0"
              Device     "Card0"
              Monitor    "Monitor0"
              DefaultDepth     24
              SubSection "Display"
                      Viewport   0 0
                      Depth     24
      #If you don't already have the line below add it if you do add your refresh rate value to it.        
                      Modes    "1680x1050@60"
              EndSubSection
      Of course as already stated. I'm not to be held responsible if you break your monitor. So do so at your own risk. However this should be a correct Modeline for a 226BW as mine is not broken.... Yet! xD
      This thread on gentoo forums also helped me: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-456367.html
      Last edited by Compxpert; 05 January 2008, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• I have Viewsonic va902b 20inch lcd, x850pro agp, AMD/via cpu/mobo and these drivers are just about perfect accept gamma in opengl is still broken. (hasn't worked since 8.40 for me) CCC keeps gettin better, refresh rates no problem, 3D is strong, movies play great.

Just a thumbs up on the drivers! Sorry to those having problems but this is the best set for me yet.

Ill be testing them on a DFI RDX200 ati chipset crossfire board with an 3850 later this week as well.

Remember for every 10 that post with problems thers prolly 1000 that are happy with em and dont.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jethro View Post
          I have Viewsonic va902b 20inch lcd, x850pro agp, AMD/via cpu/mobo and these drivers are just about perfect accept gamma in opengl is still broken. (hasn't worked since 8.40 for me) CCC keeps gettin better, refresh rates no problem, 3D is strong, movies play great.

Just a thumbs up on the drivers! Sorry to those having problems but this is the best set for me yet.

Ill be testing them on a DFI RDX200 ati chipset crossfire board with an 3850 later this week as well.

Remember for every 10 that post with problems thers prolly 1000 that are happy with em and dont.
          Yeah, well, that might be, but this latest release is still a shame, mainly because of the huge regression concerning missing support for certain widescreen resolutions. That's real pain for many laptop- and widescreen-LCD users. But I'm betting this will get fixed in the next release, anything else would be crazy.

Comment

• @Givemesugarr: You've written that you own a HD 2600 XT and I see that you know very well Catalyst 7.12.
            I've bought a HD 2600 too and want to go OpenSuse 10.3.
            Does the catalyst-Linux support h.264 decoding acceleration? (and divx and VL-1 ... )

Comment

• Originally posted by eigerhar View Post
              Does the catalyst-Linux support h.264 decoding acceleration? (and divx and VL-1 ... )
              Does any graphics card support video decoding? I don't think so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fluxid View Post
                Does any graphics card support video decoding? I don't think so.

Comment

@Givemesugarr: You've written that you own a HD 2600 XT and I see that you know very well Catalyst 7.12.
                  I've bought a HD 2600 too and want to go OpenSuse 10.3.
                  for what i know xvmc doesn't work on ati boards. you'll still be able to use xv+xine or opengl+xine (not mplayer) through software acceleration. you'll need to install the libxine from packman and the codecs needed to decode the video files.

Comment

• Please ATI do h.264!!!

It would be so easy to implement hardware decoding!!!

1. The algorithms are the same in xp and linux.
                    2. The access to the hardware is only through your proprietary driver.
                    3. Most of the linux applications let you the choice of the codec.

The ONLY thing to do is
                    a) to take a look at the source of the ffmeg dynamic library.
                    b) to copy the programming interface
                    c) to replace the routines by your proper ones that pass through your hardware.

This new "atimpeg" library could easily be used by multimedia applications (like VLC for example). Most MM-applications offer you to chose the codec library.
                    I think that the poeple from VLC would be very pleased to give you a hand.

It's the work of ONE Week for a BEGINNER in programming.
                    Every cheap Taiwanese or Chinese Linux Multimedia extender is capaable to do that. Why is ATI not able to deliver such a codec?

Comment

It would be so easy to implement hardware decoding!!!

1. The algorithms are the same in xp and linux.
                      2. The access to the hardware is only through your proprietary driver.
                      3. Most of the linux applications let you the choice of the codec.

The ONLY thing to do is
                      a) to take a look at the source of the ffmeg dynamic library.
                      b) to copy the programming interface
                      c) to replace the routines by your proper ones that pass through your hardware.

This new "atimpeg" library could easily be used by multimedia applications (like VLC for example). Most MM-applications offer you to chose the codec library.
                      I think that the poeple from VLC would be very pleased to give you a hand.

It's the work of ONE Week for a BEGINNER in programming.
                      Every cheap Taiwanese or Chinese Linux Multimedia extender is capaable to do that. Why is ATI not able to deliver such a codec?

the stuff itself might be simple, but you still have to make this thing work with the existent driver (it may break other stuff) and then since it's a module it could be rev engineered to port the drm protected hw decoding to opensource driver, things that could cause legal problems to ati.

Comment

Working...
                      X