AMD Catalyst 7.12 Linux Driver -- The Baby's In Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jackkerouac View Post
    Well, I took the plunge and installed 7.12 in Ubuntu Gutsy with my X1650 Pro card and lost the Xserver. It would boot up and give me a blank screen. Then nothing.

So I went back, reinstalled 8.40.4, copied my old xorg.conf back and still the blank screen.

After much hemming and hawing and swearing, I had to uninstall Compiz, completely remove 8.40.4, 7.12 and anything else resembling fglrx, REINSTALL 8.40.4 and the reinstall Compiz.

Now everything is back to where it was before I installed 7.12.

Sigh. Serves me right for trusting AMD/ATI. I swear, if running an ATI card under Linux has taught me ONE THING, it's do NOT RUN AN ATI CARD UNDER LINUX.

Nvidia, here I come!
    mind giving more information about your system, which includes a small list of software/hardware that is installed, and not just a video card... because if your having issues please start a new thread so we can help you fix them, because i know that AMD/ATI is currently buggy, and so is nvidia, and it might be worth noting that nvidia at one point had horribly buggy linux drivers also.

Comment

• Originally posted by LavosPhoenix View Post
      1. SMOOTH video playback using OpenGL without AIGLX.
      2. Use of the maximum resolutions supported by a display device.
      3. Decent or at least operational Game playback, while NOT breaking #1.
      4. AIGLX, while not breaking #1 and/or #3.
      Here's my wish list for the new year:

1. Use of the maximum resolutions supported by a display device. (Ridiculous that we have to mention that... And just to be sure: please, don't reduce the number of supported colors.)
      2. Working suspend and hibernate. The only reason I'm still using an ATI card (and am writing in this forum) is because I can't change it from my one-year old, 1600 EUR laptop. And with laptops powersaving/resume is important.
      3. SMOOTH video playback using Xv.
      4. AIGLX, while not breaking any of the above.

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
      Maybe AMD should think about releasing "Beta" drivers (and in my eyes, 8.443.1 is a beta driver) as beta drivers.
      I think I and others could live with that, if some of the months there is no "stable" driver, but a "beta" driver, if there are some bugs, like the resolution issue, that could not be solved out in time.
      I fully agree. It should also be possible for them to tell us a few days before the release what we may expect, and what not (in a more detailed way than what we currently get from Michael), so that we know whether it's worth the wait for us.

Comment

• Hi, I got a strange issue with this new release: when running the composite extensions (and a compositor manager of course) i get a swap of cold a warm colors.
        with the previous releases didn't happen.
        I'm using a M76 and running Xorg 7.2 on a x86_64

ah I forgot to say that without

Option "BackingStore" "true"

and composite enabled Xorg crashes in th first 30 seconds of activity.

finally, does anybody know how to turn on anti-aliasing for 32bit 3D apps under a 64bit environment?

Thank's :-)

Comment

• Hi there,

I'm using fglrx 7.12 on Fedora 7 with livna rpms.

The only way to get smooth video playback is to use OpenGL output in Xine + doublebuffering + vertical blank sync (VBS is to be set in ATICCC), but then I loose OSD and subtitles (both external and DVD).
          I tried to look at Xine documentation, but unfortunately the only info I got is that there is a problem with XShape OpenGL extention on ATI drivers.

Are there any cure for that issue?
          --
          Jacek

Comment

• Originally posted by jacek View Post
            Hi there,

I'm using fglrx 7.12 on Fedora 7 with livna rpms.

The only way to get smooth video playback is to use OpenGL output in Xine + doublebuffering + vertical blank sync (VBS is to be set in ATICCC), but then I loose OSD and subtitles (both external and DVD).
            I tried to look at Xine documentation, but unfortunately the only info I got is that there is a problem with XShape OpenGL extention on ATI drivers.

Are there any cure for that issue?
            --
            Jacek
            to use osd with kaffeine or xine you have to go in xine settings then select the video options, then go to advanced and then go until you find 2d-tex-fragprog click on the menu and select 2d-tex. this will display the osd but is slower than opengl with 2d-tex-fragprog. when i need osd i personally prefer Xv, but it is not usable unless you add

Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
            Option "OpenglOverlay" "off"

in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the SectionDevice.
            after addind that restart xorg and you should be able to use both Xv and opengl without problems in kaffeine/xine-ui.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christian_L View Post
              I fully agree. It should also be possible for them to tell us a few days before the release what we may expect, and what not (in a more detailed way than what we currently get from Michael), so that we know whether it's worth the wait for us.
              Uhh... Has it ever been worth the wait??

Everyone thinks the numbering system (7.1, 7.2, etc.) is the year/month... But actually, it is the number of features followed by the number of bugs. That is why 7.12 was the worst of all. But I have high hopes for 8.1 of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
                to use osd with kaffeine or xine you have to go in xine settings then select the video options, then go to advanced and then go until you find 2d-tex-fragprog click on the menu and select 2d-tex. this will display the osd but is slower than opengl with 2d-tex-fragprog. when i need osd i personally prefer Xv, but it is not usable unless you add

Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
                Option "OpenglOverlay" "off"

in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the SectionDevice.
                after addind that restart xorg and you should be able to use both Xv and opengl without problems in kaffeine/xine-ui.

Thanks for the answer, unfortunately as you noticed 2d-tex is much slower and because of that completely unusable for me.
                Xv output on the other hand shows diagonal video frame tearing during playback and this looks really bad on fast scenes.

It means that we still have to wait for corrected fglrx version.
                --
                Jacek

Comment

• Originally posted by benwick View Post
                  Uhh... Has it ever been worth the wait??
                  Hm, thinking back about the last year... Does fixing the broken Fedora 7 support and supporting kernel 2.6.23 one month too late count? I have to admit, I still wait for every new release, hoping depite no hope left (yes, hope is something completely irrational), that they will at least fix the things they broke before.

Interesting theory about the numbering scheme...

Comment

• Originally posted by jacek View Post
                    Thanks for the answer, unfortunately as you noticed 2d-tex is much slower and because of that completely unusable for me.
                    Xv output on the other hand shows diagonal video frame tearing during playback and this looks really bad on fast scenes.

It means that we still have to wait for corrected fglrx version.
                    --
                    Jacek
                    the 2d-tex and the xv is the only way of having osd shown. if it doesn't work well guess you'll have to wait until it gets fixed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vighy View Post
                      Hi, I got a strange issue with this new release: when running the composite extensions (and a compositor manager of course) i get a swap of cold a warm colors.
                      with the previous releases didn't happen.
                      I'm using a M76 and running Xorg 7.2 on a x86_64

ah I forgot to say that without

Option "BackingStore" "true"

and composite enabled Xorg crashes in th first 30 seconds of activity.

finally, does anybody know how to turn on anti-aliasing for 32bit 3D apps under a 64bit environment?

Thank's :-)
                      As I already asked previously in this quoted post, does anybody know anything about this issue!?

I'm sorry for the spam but nobody answered to me and other posts took away visibility from mine :-)

Thank's

Comment

Working...
                      X