No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 7.12 Linux Driver -- The Baby's In Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can report a success with suspend on Ubuntu Gutsy with 7.12 using s2ram. Because s2ram is not present in default i had to compile and install the source from http://sourceforge.net/projects/suspend and then had to run "sudo s2ram -f" because my notebook (asus f3jr) is not currently oficially supported. Suspend and resume seems fine, had some problems after many cycles (8-9), still playing with the parameters (see "s2ram -h" or http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram#s2ram_-...out_of_the_box ).

Comment

• Upgraded to 7.12 today (Thinkpad T60, X1400, Ubuntu 7.10)

- Installation was straightforward following http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide
      method 2
      - Thank you ATI! suspend/resume works for the first time ever since running gutsy. All I had to do is set POST_VIDEO=false in /etc/default/acpi-support
      - looking at glxgears and fgl_glxgears, performance is up about 3% compared to 8.42.3 (what I was using before)
      - video playing using GL works acceptably, as long as compositing isn't used
      - when using compositing, there are the famous flicker effects with both xv and GL playback
      - on the built in display, I can't get beyond 1280x1024 in resolution. That is really a pretty amazing bug.
      - On the external 1600x1200 display, I get the full resolution, though
      - there are strange artifacts on the desktop when dragging icons around

Apart from the staggering "no max resolution" bug, this driver is another incremental improvement. Some people at ATI/AMD seem to be working really hard to improve things. It is appreciated.

Am I happy yet with this driver? No, but there isn't really missing that much:

- fix the resolution issues
      - make compositing work with video at the same time
      - fix desktop artifacts

Then the driver would be pretty much "complete" for me.

And while we're writing wishlists (it's Christmas time, after all): ATI please write up a short documentation on what options this driver takes in xorg.conf and what they mean. At the moment it's a guessing game of trial and error, and makes me feel like the blind man poking the fog with a walking stick.

Chris

Comment

• For me latest driver is partially improvement.
        On HP 6715b laptop with Ati x1250 and kernel-2.6.23.9 I had a problem with xvideo (VideoOverlay - not supported on AVIVO, TexturedVideo - not supported on IGP). With 7.12 finally I have xvideo using TexturedVideo option. And also it has 4 ports, so I can use skype with webcam:

Here is part of my xorg.conf:
        Code:
        Section "Device"
                Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]"
                Driver      "fglrx"
                Option      "TexturedVideo" "on"
                Option      "VideoOverlay" "on"
                Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
                Option      "UseInternalAGPGART" "off"
                Option      "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
                Option      "UseFastTLS" "1"
                Option      "NoAccel" "no"
                Option      "Centermode" "off"
                Option      "PseudoColorVisuals" "off"
                Option      "DesktopSetup" "horizontal"
                Option      "EnableMonitor" "lvds"
                BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
        EndSection

Section "Extensions"
                Option      "Composite" "true"
                Option      "XVideo" "true"
        EndSection
        Results:
        glxgears: 1114 fps
        fgl_fglxgears: 240 fps

I didn't configured suspend yet, so I can't say anything about that. Laptop has 1280x800 lcd, so resolution bug is not important here.

Ont the other hand I have also HP nx6125 with Ati 200M and 1400x1050 lcd and there I already have working xvideo (VideoOverlay), unfortunatelly only one port. With 7.12 TextureVideo also works, but 1024x768 is blurred on this lcd.

Comment

• hello

i tride ati 7.11 and 7.12 driver, the instal from the .run fil works, but direct redering thos not work.

i have to go back to the defulte ubuntu 7.10 driver then fglrx works

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisg View Post
            - fix desktop artifacts

Chris
            So, it's normal that I randomly get some weird artifacts in the lower left corner of my screen?

Comment

• Originally posted by kelnoky View Post
              So, it's normal that I randomly get some weird artifacts in the lower left corner of my screen?
              I stopped getting those since the 7.11 drivers. Before I simply added:

Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"

... to the Device section in xorg.conf

Originally posted by chrisg View Post

And while we're writing wishlists (it's Christmas time, after all): ATI please write up a short documentation on what options this driver takes in xorg.conf and what they mean. At the moment it's a guessing game of trial and error, and makes me feel like the blind man poking the fog with a walking stick.

Chris
              That would be incredibly useful. I second that motion.

Comment

• That would be incredibly useful. I second that motion.
                well, here http://debian.wgdd.de/temp/fglrx_man/fglrx.4x.html some of them are explained. other are to be guessed.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisg View Post
                  Chris

Yeah, but what if they don't know, either?

Comment

• Originally posted by happycampers View Post
                    Yeah, but what if they don't know, either?
                    They've got the source code. They know.

Just because they're unable to fix things quickly (yeah, that's it...) doesn't mean they're incompetent or idiots.

The devs aren't the problem. AMD not moving fast enough to clean up ATI's dirty laundry's the problem.

Comment

• well I've installed this new driver and after an hour with it and compiz I only have an word: crape!

the firefox scroll still slow!
                      even on pigding when i send a message it "blur" before appear on the conversation box.
                      youtube videos plays so slow!
                      movie player play videos bumping like black and image.
                      compiz efects still very slow!

lots of improves are still needed!

Comment

Working...
                      X