AMD Catalyst 7.12 Linux Driver -- The Baby's In Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still no Xvideo for avivo chipsets

This driver still does not support Xvideo for avivo based chipsets.
    F$%^%g morons.

Comment

• Okay tested the driver with a HD2600XT a little bit.

- glxgears FPS increased from ~6700 to ~8300
      - fgl_glxgears FPS increased from ~1600 to ~1900
      - A green line, which appeared sometimes when playing a video with xv, is gone. With compiz running it's still there.
      - Compiz performance seems to be better, but still not usable.
      - With compiz there are sometimes small artifacts visible after an animation.
      - All compiz window switchers are unusable because of black textures or very low FPS.
      - Quake 4 is still only playable with crappy textures
      - No visible performance improvements in UT2004, still very low FPS compared to windows.
      - GtkPerf "GtkDrawingArea - Circles" test takes still about 1 minute to complete

Comment

• I'm getting the same

Originally posted by ltmon View Post
        First the good:
        - Installed easily
        - Memory leak does indeed seem to be gone
        - dkms is good - the installation has one less step. Hint for Ubuntu users: sudo apt-get install dkms before attempting the install, and then just don't worry about any of the module-assistant stuff that you normally do
        - xrandr seems to work better (was intermitently failing to change resolution for me previously)
        - Setting screen gamma outside of amdcccle works now, so having gamma set up inside games will work
        - Ubuntu packaging script updates the compiz whitelist upon install

Now the bad:
        - My dual head 1680x1050 is down to 1280x1024 (as per the release notes). Is this just a detection problem??? Can I fix it?? Because otherwise I have to downgrade and lose the above goodness

FYI, the relase notes say:

Cheers,

L.
        I had the same problem and my refresh rate was haywire.. totally being ignored and all I got were crazy lines across my monitors.

Comment

• Originally posted by bradrm View Post
          I had the same problem and my refresh rate was haywire.. totally being ignored and all I got were crazy lines across my monitors.
          adjust the monitor refresh. you should have some option in its menu that autoadjusts the refresh rate. i had the same problem when the refresh of the monitor was different from the one in the output of the board. obviously this is valid for lcd monitors only.

Comment

• Refresh prob

Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
            adjust the monitor refresh. you should have some option in its menu that autoadjusts the refresh rate. i had the same problem when the refresh of the monitor was different from the one in the output of the board. obviously this is valid for lcd monitors only.
            Right! It's weird because I have it set properly and this was the same xorg.conf I used w/ the previous driver (which set the freq. properly) but the new driver doesn't. I rebooted after installing and saw nothing but a crazy refresh.. I suppose I can try playing around w/ the refresh rates to see if the driver actually takes what I set in xorg.conf but so far it doesn't seem to be.

Comment

• Hooray! I've made the suspend to disk! It works with my Xpress200M on Ubuntu 7.10

sudo gedit /etc/default/acpi-support

Code:
              SAVE_VBE_STATE=false
              POST_VIDEO=true
              USE_DPMS=false

and it works.
              Good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by sid350 View Post
                Hooray! I've made the suspend to disk! It works with my Xpress200M on Ubuntu 7.10

sudo gedit /etc/default/acpi-support

Code:
                SAVE_VBE_STATE=false
                POST_VIDEO=true
                USE_DPMS=false

and it works.
                Good luck!
                well, with my x200m i have the following problem: suspend works fine but when i try to suspend again after a previous suspension, the pc would not suspend. i haven't still got a hint on how to fix this problem.

Comment

• ahahah another shit is born ;D do you still have any hopes left? Im happy with radeonhd drivers, try them

Comment

• Suspend/Hibernate never works for me, not even with these drivers. Computer goes to sleep but never comes back on, and when I try to hibernate the whole thing goes crazy on me. Not a real issue for me since I leave my desktop on all the time and never leave my laptop on for more than an hour. I'm back with the 7.11s since I can't stand the low resolutions. Shame; Nexuiz actually would run with the 8.443s.

Comment

• 3D broken with 7.12 for SB600

I've got a GA-MA69GM-S2H whihch has a SB600 integrated. The core is a X1200 (AVIVO, IGP).
                      From driver release to driver release I hope to have a system working as good as with an nvidia card.
                      But meanwhile I'm a bit disappointed:
                      - No XVideo (!!!!)
                      - Dual screen is not that good (nvidia is much better).
                      - No compiz (ok, I can live with that as long as no M$ braindead user wants to tell me that only Vista has great desktop effects).

And now with the 7.12 release (I just hoped for XVideo support) disappointment just increased:
                      - The 3D performance of the new release is a catastrophe: (glxgears with 7.11: 1200FPS, with 7.12: 250FPS, fgl_glxgears with 7.11: 260FPS, with 7.12: 60FPS)
                      - Lot's of new display errors with 3D rendering. fgl_glxgears displays the cube not correctly. I also tested a game (ORF Ski Challenge 08). I whole catastrophe. Extremely slow. The body of the person is not visible (only the head, hands and legs are visible). The environment is drawn much too dark.

After 15 minutes of testing I downgraded to 7.11 again. I hope the 7.13 release comes without these problems and finally has XVideo support!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X