No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 7.12 Linux Driver -- The Baby's In Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I quit, I'm going to attempt a trade for my laptop with the ATI card. Although if I attempt it with someone who has an IQ > 1 it will most likely result in a black eye for me.

This is just not funny. Even the damn windows driver doesn't work on my PC at home, at least I can roll back two years to a working driver. On my laptop I can only roll back to the Vesa driver.

ATI cards are worthless. ATI drivers are worthless. ATI customer support is worthless.

They must think they are so cool that they got one over on all of us, you know what good for them. Let them keep pretending they are all cool and hiding the release dates and ignoring their customers like they know better than us what we want. I've had it, I'll let the rest of you suckers wait this out.

I've got $100 bucks that says I check this forum by this time next year and you guys are still complaining about major showstopping issues with this driver. Anyway, goodluck for anyone who can't afford to switch.

Comment

Yeah, a hotfix for the res would be really nice, but, something also needs to be done for OpenGL. glxgears and fgl_glxgears work, but OpenGL in VLC doesn't, same with zsnes.

Comment

Valgrind still goes nuts w. memory errors, but the system monitor doesn't seem to indicate any leaking now. Well, at least I have that. I hope we're not going to have to wait until next month for a fix for the resolution issue, though.

Comment

Going back to trusty old 8.40.4 *sigh*. This driver looked to be a good release, but then yet another *huge* showstopper emerges.
          This is my problem - there is NO trusty version of the driver I can go back to. 8.34.8 was the best working driver for me but then I would have to downgrade my kernel and X.org and even then it wasn't good enough for games later than Quake 3.

Comment

Wait? fglrx can't do wide screen resolutions anymore??

How does this pass QA... I don't get it.

and if any of the engineers are reading my posts, my anger is not directed at you.

I highly doubt any software engineer working on the project is happy with the state of ATI Linux.

I blame the powers at be at AMD that determine the unrealistic release cycle(monthly clearly isn't productive). To me a good QA and Test process probably takes a half a month alone(or more depending on the size of the project obviously). Wrapping it all up takes a few days(or more), and don't forget about all the times in meetings. Clearly this leaves little to no time for actual development when you only have a month.

However it should be noted the fast release cycle works much better for open source projects, as releases are more milestones and QA & Testing tends to be more ongoing.

Comment

It's not only widescreen. 1400x1050 (my laptop's - T60p - native res) isn't supported either and I'm stuck with 1024x768. AMD/ATI can't possibly be serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Crunchy View Post
                This is my problem - there is NO trusty version of the driver I can go back to. 8.34.8 was the best working driver for me but then I would have to downgrade my kernel and X.org and even then it wasn't good enough for games later than Quake 3.
                Well, 8.40.4 has its share of problems for me, but I call it trusty because I know of all its quirks and the necessary work-arounds. For example I get no suspend, and I get no proper XVideo (but can use vsync-ed OpenGL-video output). However, I do get proper dual-head with an external LCD, and it basically works for all my needs. I don't care much about AIGLX (at least in its current form in fglrx) or Compiz.. All that being said, I don't enjoy having to revert to this version, I wish I could use 7.12. But 1280x1024 does not cut it on my 1680x1050 laptop .

Comment

Originally posted by koolmanoncampus View Post
                  Wait? fglrx can't do wide screen resolutions anymore??

How does this pass QA... I don't get it.

and if any of the engineers are reading my posts, my anger is not directed at you.

I highly doubt any software engineer working on the project is happy with the state of ATI Linux.

I blame the powers at be at AMD that determine the unrealistic release cycle(monthly clearly isn't productive). To me a good QA and Test process probably takes a half a month alone(or more depending on the size of the project obviously). Wrapping it all up takes a few days(or more), and don't forget about all the times in meetings. Clearly this leaves little to no time for actual development when you only have a month.

However it should be noted the fast release cycle works much better for open source projects, as releases are more milestones and QA & Testing tends to be more ongoing.
                  They don't develop and release a driver in the same month, they have rolling releases, so two versions might be in different stages of development and one version is in QA.

Comment

Additionally...

CPU utilization for 'normal' usage is through the roof in this release all of a sudden.

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
                    6163 root 25 0 356m 51m 19m R 95 2.5 3:01.37 Xorg

The system crawls to a halt on any significant screen update (moving my firefox window, for example).

As to people asking for a hotfix, I would love to see some hotfixes, but has AMD/ATi ever done such a thing for linux?

I think they are seriously fubar with monthly release cycle. It's just not beneficial at all. Your release management probably decides any regression sort of eating babies is acceptable, after all, a new release is coming in just a month anyway. Next month comes, more regressions, again, with the same justifications probably rehashed over and over. Hotfixes rarely make sense (though I noted a hotfix for Crysis performance on the Wndows side, undoubtedly because marketing demanded something to make the reviews less embarassing).

I would *much* prefer maybe quarterly updates with hotfixes in the interim for critical problems (i.e. the resolution problem would justify a hotfix, the memory leak and processor utilization might, but maybe the diagonal tearing, performance, and features could wait a quarter for a test of the entire situation.

That said, though I want to support AMD if they follow up on open-source, I'm not going to buy so long as those specs aren't released and so long as the fglrx drivers are this bad.

Comment

Even in 7.12, I still have slow page-scrolling in firefox with Compiz on(via AIGLX). (Sigh...)

I have ati9600 on my thinkpad t42.

ATI developers, Please resolve this problem....

Comment

Working...
                      X