No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 7.12 Linux Driver -- The Baby's In Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm very unhappy. I got a black display and an instant system freeze with my 3870 on Debian amd64 testing (xorg 1.3.0) / unstable (xorg 1.4.1) using 7.11/7.12 . RadeonHD doesn't work. The only working driver is vesa. Any hints?

Comment

• Originally posted by zappbrannigan View Post
      I'm very unhappy. I got a black display and an instant system freeze with my 3870 on Debian amd64 testing (xorg 1.3.0) / unstable (xorg 1.4.1) using 7.11/7.12 . RadeonHD doesn't work. The only working driver is vesa. Any hints?
      Did you try newest radeonhd?
      afaik they added support lately.

There are some cards, that fglrx doesn't support atm.
      Yours is one of them. Maybe you can fix it by adding the PCI ID to the source code, but no I don't know.

Edit:
      I just had a look and they are already there:
      FGL_ASIC_ID(0x9501), // ATI Radeon HD 3870 (RV670 9501)
      FGL_ASIC_ID(0x9505), // ATI Radeon HD 3850 (RV670 9505)

So I don#t know.
      Last edited by Berniyh; 23 December 2007, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I'm very unhappy. I got a black display and an instant system freeze with my 3870 on Debian amd64 testing (xorg 1.3.0) / unstable (xorg 1.4.1) using 7.11/7.12 . RadeonHD doesn't work. The only working driver is vesa. Any hints?
        you might have the preinitdal failed problem seen for many users.
        see the /var/log/Xorg.0.log and post it here.

Comment

• Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
          you might have the preinitdal failed problem seen for many users.
          see the /var/log/Xorg.0.log and post it here.

The system hangs. No logs available...
          New test with Debian testing i386 with fglrx: works. More information in some days!

Comment

The system hangs. No logs available...
            New test with Debian testing i386 with fglrx: works. More information in some days!
            do: cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log > xorg.log after restarting the pc in conseguence of a failure in console mode (no xwindow). the log is always present even if the pc hangs to be able to see what error you have and to be able to correct it.

Comment

• Like fred I'm running Mandriva 2008 pp
              For me the 7.12 drivers are working ok..I fired up UT2K4 under compiz-fusion and enabled stat fps.. the drivers are slower than the 7.11.
              I actually saw some yellow and red indicating the fps dipped under 30. With the 7.11's it never dipped under 45.
              Perhaps it's due to having textured video enabled, I'll disable it and rerun at a later date.

No slow scrolling under Firefox for me..vid playback the same natch.

I'm sticking with these drivers even though the mem leak didn't affect me much. The performance drop off isn't great enough to offset the memleak fix.
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
              Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

• I'm running Fedora 8 x86_64. My comp is AMD 64 on Asus K8V motherboard with 2Gb RAM. I using x1950pro AGP video. My system was work with 7.11 fglrx and kernel 2.6.23.8-63, but slowly in OpenGL programs. Today i upgraded kernel to 2.6.23.9-85 and ati driver to 7.12. Now when i started X, the computer suspends totally with the black screen. When i using 7.12 with old kernel, it works, but:
                glxinfo | grep direct
                direct rendering: No
                OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
                It seems that the same problem in Post #164

Comment

• Originally posted by flyer View Post
                  I'm running Fedora 8 x86_64. My comp is AMD 64 on Asus K8V motherboard with 2Gb RAM. I using x1950pro AGP video. My system was work with 7.11 fglrx and kernel 2.6.23.8-63, but slowly in OpenGL programs. Today i upgraded kernel to 2.6.23.9-85 and ati driver to 7.12. Now when i started X, the computer suspends totally with the black screen. When i using 7.12 with old kernel, it works, but:

It seems that the same problem in Post #164
                  Interesting, is the PreInitDAL bug to do with 2.6.23?

Comment

• my card works out of the box.

My card works out of the box, dunno what ya guys actually are doing.

In first R600 support driver, i had issues with D-sub screens, not anymore.

Im using a 1080 P screen, 1920x1080, it has my resolutions, no issues.

Performance is great, some desktop videoplayback and compiz issues.

nothing else that worries me too much.

Comment

• well ... hopefully, with a tiny bit of luck, 6 months from now we will read these forums and all have a big collective chuckle .. for by then the driver will outperform the Windows version and only will remain a handful of tiny bugs ...

We will have no more reason to complain people !! And you know what? I think we will miss it when it happens. Cause its just so much fun

COME ON ATI GUYS YOU CAN DO IT !! HIT US WITH YOUR BEST SHOT !!

(motivation attempt)

Comment

Working...
                      X