No announcement yet.

AMD RadeonSI Gallium3D Performance For 4K Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just bought a new 40" 4K TV (Samsung UN40HU7000, $950).

I'm running a 7970 with the latest Catalyst drivers from rpmfusion for Fedora 19.

Forget gaming, I just want the desktop to work.

Firefox *really* doesn't like windows larger than about half the screen, before everything almost comes to a halt (scrolling, typing in text boxes, etc).

I can get a 1080p video to play full-screen, but I tried the 4K Elysium trailer and only Totem could even put something on the screen, and that glitched and the sound dropped out. At least that was better than gnome-mplayer, VLC, and Youtube+Flash, which I didn't get anything from.

Comment

Always interested in 4k numbers. Do you have on the agenda a 4k vid test?

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
        I just bought a new 40" 4K TV (Samsung UN40HU7000, $950).

I'm running a 7970 with the latest Catalyst drivers from rpmfusion for Fedora 19.

Forget gaming, I just want the desktop to work.

Firefox *really* doesn't like windows larger than about half the screen, before everything almost comes to a halt (scrolling, typing in text boxes, etc).

I can get a 1080p video to play full-screen, but I tried the 4K Elysium trailer and only Totem could even put something on the screen, and that glitched and the sound dropped out. At least that was better than gnome-mplayer, VLC, and Youtube+Flash, which I didn't get anything from.
        How are the oss drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I do have a KVM switch but never use it.... My setup works. Sometimes I end up using 4+ keyboards, monitors, and mouse simultaneously.... One computer for my emails / article writing / Internet surfing / business tasks. Then anywhere from 1~3 systems concurrently running benchmarks. Then usually a separate system when I'm working on / testing PTS/Phoromatic/OB code. I prefer having dedicated monitors so I can see when a test is done (albeit PTS can also email / txt me) but especially for making sure the system doesn't hang or that when running any graphics tests there are no artifacts or anything, so will be monitoring them with my peripheral vision.
          I guess if it works for you then no point in changing it. I wonder though - maybe you could take one of your retired benchmark PCs, get a few HDMI capture cards, and use it to display and control at least 4 PCs at a time. You can easily do split screen that way and resize each display however you want. Or, perhaps you could run the tests through SSH. Up to you obviously, I'm just throwing out suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
            personally, I have one.you just have to rethink the way you work. Split screen everything.
            If I used a system for EVERYTHING, including movies, games, and work then this would be a decent idea. But that also means whatever I split ends up being pretty small, unless I pay extra for a huge display. I would much rather buy 2-4 monitors if I'm going to constantly split screen everything.

Comment

Impressive results, showing that good progress with the free driver.
              Still I would not use 4K for anything right now. It's horribly expensive, especially when you want some decent image quality (e.g. IPS), it will use a lot of power and most of my machines are far from 4K capable. Also software needs to go with it. But impressive anyway. I am however looking forward to a tiny little system (AM1 based) for writing but with a 1920x1200 (16:10 at least) IPS panel. Pivot included so I could probably turn it 90? and use that config for typing.
              But 4K is out of my reach for the next time.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                AMD specs for 6870 say the max res is 2560x1600.

One of the devs (i think agd5f??) said that 6850 card can do 4k with DP1.2 when i asked the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                  How are the oss drivers?
                  They never correctly initialized my old Dell 30" LCD, and I haven't bothered to try uninstalling Catalyst yet, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
                    They never correctly initialized my old Dell 30" LCD, and I haven't bothered to try uninstalling Catalyst yet, sorry.
                    What do you mean by initialized? At a min you should have vesa compliance with any oss driver, which every monitor, tmk, understands. Not fast but it should turn on and the display controller should be sending the correct signals from the fb.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                      The problem is since the screen is so large, the PPI is nowhere near what a smartphone has. You really need at least around 200 PPI from a monitor before jaggies start disappearing without AA.
                      Well, that somewhat depends on the screen you're using. If you're running a 40" TV like these benchmarks, then yeah, the PPI isn't much better than a standard monitor. But if you're running a 24" desktop monitor, that's a very different story - that *is* going to be somewhere in the vicinity of 200 PPI.

Comment

Working...
                      X