No announcement yet.

Hd 6850

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, at this point linux in that rig only with VMware.
    That's why i'm building a rig for linux only. And i want to do my research before i mess this one

Comment

Originally posted by marco26 View Post
      Yes, at this point linux in that rig only with VMware.
      That's why i'm building a rig for linux only. And i want to do my research before i mess this one
      Ahh, OK -- with VMware you'd be running a completely different 2D/3D graphics stack on the guest OS anyways (running on an emulated GPU), and IIRC the code paths only come back to native drivers when the host side of the gfx stack makes OpenGL calls on the host OS.

Comment

In 2012 I bought a Intel notebook and since then I have not used my desktop any more.
        few days ago I bought a 23" screen, then I revive my desktop (Phenom II/HD6670) and even with updated kernel/drivers(by arch linux) the general performance was worst then my i3/HD3000 notebook.
        xf86-video-ati/ati-dri still have tons of glitches and gnome shell simply sucks on it.
        In my opinion, on linux, Intel >>>>> ati

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Ahh, OK -- with VMware you'd be running a completely different 2D/3D graphics stack on the guest OS anyways (running on an emulated GPU), and IIRC the code paths only come back to native drivers when the host side of the gfx stack makes OpenGL calls on the host OS.
          You are correct, but I've actually tried to run it on a separate SSD, with both open source and proprietary drivers...that's why i'm using it in a VM

Originally posted by souenzzo View Post
          In 2012 I bought a Intel notebook and since then I have not used my desktop any more.
          few days ago I bought a 23" screen, then I revive my desktop (Phenom II/HD6670) and even with updated kernel/drivers(by arch linux) the general performance was worst then my i3/HD3000 notebook.
          xf86-video-ati/ati-dri still have tons of glitches and gnome shell simply sucks on it.
          In my opinion, on linux, Intel >>>>> ati
          Funny you say that, I've have one of those cards laying around collecting dust and my I3-2120 is running like a charm with the integrated graphics.

Comment

Cool tip:
            https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME

It works on desktop.
            Simply connect your monitor on the awesome intel on board gpu for a better gnome experience
            use "$ DRI_PRIME=1 vlc yourvideo.mp4 " to get vdpau working with 0% cpu usage. =)

Comment

It Works!

I have had my 6850 with three monitors for over a year now and I haven't had a single issue with normal usage. The only problems I see are when running games which don't properly support multi monitor configurations and consequently mess up everything untli you restart X.

Comment

Working...
              X