Hd 6850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hd 6850

Can i expect INTEL like smoothness and triple screen support for this card on open source drivers?

Originally posted by marco26 View Post
    Can i expect INTEL like smoothness and triple screen support for this card on open source drivers?
    Intel like smoothness? No, you can expect RADEON like smoothness, which Intel doesn't even come close to. 3-screen should be fine as long as you have all the appropriate connectors.

Comment

Problem doesn't lay on the connectors, that i think i can handle...i'm talking about driver support.

Comment

I suppose it will work. I use dual monitors (HDMI+DVI) on an A8-6500 APU (the IGP is r600 too despite its name) and works just fine. I just briefly connected a third (VGA) out of curiosity and i was able to use it in 2 clicks via the built in Xfce dispay setup (2x1440x900+1x1280x1024 monitors).
        So, the driver seems fully capable of supporting 3 displays. Note that i use the very latest drivers (mesa and kernel) compiled from git and xfce with no compositing (on Debian Testing 64 bit).
        I dont know about inter smoothness, but i know that the radeon drivers are very capable and rock solid in my experience (despite using the latest git stuff).

Comment

Problem doesn't lay on the connectors, that i think i can handle...i'm talking about driver support.
          Read again what I said.

Comment

You said or shared nothing...we all know it should work, but i would like to ear from people like gradinaruvasile that actually run triple screens...eyfinity setup or not.

After what you said about Intel drivers you cant really expected to be taken serious?

If Radeon like smoothness is so great why does my gaming rig which is a quadfire hawai xt beast who completely maxes out every single games in existence@4K resolution gives me hell under linux?

Comment

I have 5850 and having previously built budget systems, relying on Intel APU, i would say you can expect 65-100% (depending on opengl level) performance compared to proprietary, and about 4x faster raw fps output than intel (like 120 vs 30 fps).

Cant say much about multimonitor support, but it should be fully working.

Comment

If Radeon like smoothness is so great why does my gaming rig which is a quadfire hawai xt beast who completely maxes out every single games in existence@4K resolution gives me hell under linux?
                You should ask question like: Does all radeon cards work like Hawaii, which actually does not work yet with any stable kernel?

Hawaii is exception (it only started to work recently) in radeon driver, maybe with performance wise issues similar to Cayman But others are fine, as far as i know .

That said Intel Iris Pro have also unexpected performance issues too, you can search phoronix about that It is not that all Intels are so perfect, in all cases it just depends so YMMV
                Last edited by dungeon; 12 September 2014, 01:23 PM.

Comment

If you're running quadfire (= 4 card Crossfire ?) then it seems likely you are running the Catalyst Linux stack, not the radeon stack.
                  Test signature

Comment

... or I guess you could be running quad Crossfire on Windows with the Catalyst driver and single-GPU on Linux with the radeon stack ?
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X