Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Releases Updated Catalyst Linux Graphics Driver (v14.30)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xubuntu 14.04 and still Radeon HD 5750 and R7 250 don't work. Wtf is with this shit drivers?! All GeForce works out of the box.

Comment

Reversing the chessboard, seems like their reason for releasing this graphics driver is that they are still working on a different driver and that this is a stopgap measure to support their new product until they have released the official driver that they are working on. Still, they need to release something soon because it has been nearly 3 months without an update from the last beta driver.

Comment

Hmm, didn't see this thread before I made a thread on AMD Linux already, ah well.

Anyway:

- Works on 3.16.1 as-is (firegl_public.c mod was already done)
        - Can work on unsupported hardware if you have a generated xorg.conf already (you can't generate another one on unsupported hardware); works fine on 7660G + 7670M laptop
        - Google Chrome still shifts to the right a few pixels when maximized with HW acceleration enabled

Originally posted by olbi View Post
        Xubuntu 14.04 and still Radeon HD 5750 and R7 250 don't work. Wtf is with this shit drivers?! All GeForce works out of the box.
        Not sure what you're trying to say; those same Radeon GPUs work out the box too unless you use a significantly outdated distro.

Does "all" GeForce hardware work superbly with the Nouveau driver though? I bet not. Can bet the 5750 works nicely with the Radeon driver. Not certain on the R7 250.

If you're going to bash something, do it right
        Last edited by Guest; 03 September 2014, 04:43 PM.

Comment

@olbi:

There is surely not much reason to use fglrx on radeon 5750...

Comment

Originally posted by olbi View Post
            All GeForce works out of the box.
            Each Radeon (except R290) works out of the box too - open source drivers are default for both GF and Radeon, but drivers for Radeon are much better. It's not AMD fault that you don't read manual how to install drivers... I wrote you how to install FGLRX in another thread...

Comment

Does it support Xserver 1.16??

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                Does "all" GeForce hardware work superbly with the Nouveau driver though? I bet not. Can bet the 5750 works nicely with the Radeon driver. Not certain on the R7 250.

If you're going to bash something, do it right
                Be careful not to compare apples to oranges. This is talk about comparing the proprietary drivers, not the open-source ones. (Even if that is the way to go in the end.)

That said, it probably just didn't work because this driver release is mainly for that new GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by djdoo View Post
                  Does it support Xserver 1.16??
                  No. "libglx.so undefined symbol LoadExtension"

Comment

Originally posted by DaVince View Post
                    Be careful not to compare apples to oranges. This is talk about comparing the proprietary drivers, not the open-source ones. (Even if that is the way to go in the end.)

That said, it probably just didn't work because this driver release is mainly for that new GPU.
                    Yeah but he said "out the box" which was a bit confusing. Out-the-box implies open-source drivers.

I don't know of any distro where a proprietary graphics driver is installed right after install. Although now that I think about it, perhaps that 3rd-party checkbox during Ubuntu installers might do that?

But in any case, considering this is a R9 285-specific release, I don't know how one would expect other hardware to work, and then complain when it doesn't...

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                      Yeah but he said "out the box" which was a bit confusing. Out-the-box implies open-source drivers.

I don't know of any distro where a proprietary graphics driver is installed right after install. Although now that I think about it, perhaps that 3rd-party checkbox during Ubuntu installers might do that?

But in any case, considering this is a R9 285-specific release, I don't know how one would expect other hardware to work, and then complain when it doesn't...
                      Sabayon has shipped with proprietary drivers out of the box since forever.

Comment

Working...
                      X