No announcement yet.

AMD Releases UVD Video Decode Support For R600 GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the problem is so simple why don't you submit a patch?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      If the problem is so simple why don't you submit a patch?
      There is a patch but it was rejected (2 Lines). The Leaders don't like it and want a other fix. For the Users with a HD2k up to the HD3k, i build the xbmc/kodi releases with this fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
        So does that mean this news doesn't apply to a 2400? I assume the 2400 and 2400 PRO are the same?
        There's some confusion on what is "r600" and what is not.
        r600 was the original radeon hd2900 chip, was it is also the family of chips comprising all the hd2xxx and hd3xxx boards chips.

Have a look here:

BTW, I have an old but still valid laptop with an hd3450 (codename rv620), and I'm pretty pleased with all the advancements of the foss radeon driver. Recently I gained dynamic power switching, and currently I have nice 2d and 3d performance. Now UVD is coming to the party for my 6 years old laptop.

Comment

Well, thank You very much. The news made my day.
          I did not think that this will happen so early.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            But, complete openCL support appears to be just around the corner so at the very
            OpenCl will not run on r600/700 until a long time in the future, if ever at all. so if Hyperz gets fixed I would call the HW support for pr DX11 HW as finished. May be cf would be a nice to have but I think the newer HW would be more important than these 2-3 r600/700 cf users.

I'm owning a r710 notebook, (HD5xxV, as with latest Catalyst I have installed).

Comment

xbmc won't work without gl_interop anymore. The old "pixmap hack" we had until the Frodo release was not spec conform. At the beginning of uvd vdpau support (without interop) we tried to get those radeons running with the pixmap hack - but they were much too slow to render more than 20 fps in full hd that way. So basically without that interop you won't be able to play anything demanding in xbmc anyways.

Removal: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/...5f54f93a8bb301
              Interop requirement: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/ma...VDPAU.cpp#L497

Perhaps some more insight:
              VDPAU defines a presentation queue to a X11 drawable. Getting this to GL rendering is a hack. You need to define a X11 pixmap, map this to a gl pixmap, query visible, and finally render the gl pixmap <- funny, eh? :-)
              Last edited by fritsch; 25 August 2014, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by _ONH_ View Post
                OpenCl will not run on r600/700 until a long time in the future, if ever at all. so if Hyperz gets fixed I would call the HW support for pr DX11 HW as finished. May be cf would be a nice to have but I think the newer HW would be more important than these 2-3 r600/700 cf users.

I'm owning a r710 notebook, (HD5xxV, as with latest Catalyst I have installed).
                R600/700 cannot support full OpenCL because it lacks hardware capabilities. See

"6 Only partial OpenCL support is possible, support through vertex shaders. "
                That would require probably lots of device-specific code, an effort that is probably not worth it.

Comment

By the way, is there any ATI Avivo support within the open-souce drivers?

EDIT: OK, not worth it
                  "The R5xx can also assist in Microsoft WMV9/VC-1 and MPEG H.264/AVC decoding, by a combination of the 3D/pipeline's shader-units and the motion-video engine. Benchmarks show only a modest decrease in CPU-utilization for VC-1 and H.264 playback."
                  Last edited by Mat2; 25 August 2014, 09:01 AM.

Comment

@_ONH_ and Mat2
                    The R600 driver consists of a lot of products - the name is deceiving. The actual R600 architecture, to my knowledge, doesn't support OpenCL. There is one exception though, the HD4600 and HD4800 series support OpenCL 1.0. GPUs from the HD5000-HD6000 range support OpenCL 1.1, and the HD7000 series and newer supports OpenCL 1.2.

Source:
                    Deploying and developing royalty-free open standards for 3D graphics, Virtual and Augmented Reality, Parallel Computing, Neural Networks, and Vision Processing

Comment

Originally posted by Mat2 View Post
                      By the way, is there any ATI Avivo support within the open-souce drivers?

EDIT: OK, not worth it
                      "The R5xx can also assist in Microsoft WMV9/VC-1 and MPEG H.264/AVC decoding, by a combination of the 3D/pipeline's shader-units and the motion-video engine. Benchmarks show only a modest decrease in CPU-utilization for VC-1 and H.264 playback."
                      Video decode on older asics (pre-UVD) was done using the 3D engine (shaders). There is limited support for this in mesa already.

Comment

Working...
                      X