AMD Releases UVD Video Decode Support For R600 GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R00KIE View Post
    The problem is that AMD said to use the free and open source driver when they discontinued support in their fglrx driver. Everyone might have understood incorrectly, implicitly everyone expected that feature wise the free driver would catch up in time, this includes video decoding. Not to mention that nVidia is still somewhat supporting cards that are older than the radeons HD2xxx.

That said, even if things keep coming as a best effort it's still better than nothing. I'm sure owners of laptops with radeon hd2xxx like me would gladly accept anything in the way of hardware accelerated video decoding, even if it comes with limitations due to buggy hardware.
    Hell they USED to go so far back as the GF/GF2/etc. but recently it's looking like they're pulling back on that. Understandable in that case given the age of the cards and their capabilities. OTOH it still kinda sounds like they'll be releasing at least bugfix and maybe compatibility updates on a more limited basis, but this is just conjecture.

Seems like the reason for dropping the older cards was to dump support(code) for them from the current driver tree...

Older ATI cards: phppt! Even the fglrx drivers were STILL BUGGY when they dropped support for 4XXX and older, which is why they got flipped the bird and I'm back to nVidia, most especially for notebooks in that even IF the dGPU IS a MXM card it's often not just a simple swap and MXM cards tend to be fairly expensive anyways, plus there's the whole mounting HS/fan(if any) onto a new card which probably doesn't have the same mount points/config... get yer lathes and drill presses warmed up...

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
      According to the original email:

So this absence of "VDPAU/OpenGL interop" sounds like a hardware limitation.

What exactly would "VDPAU/OpenGL interop" provide? All I'm really looking for is accelerated video decode for MPEG4 / H.264, so that I can watch HD-TV more easily with my HD4890.
      VDPAU-GL interop is required for some software that implements custom video postprocessing or scaling, like XBMC or mpv. The interop API is based on fields, even for progressive content.

Comment

I'm lucky it seems, I just put an old laptop with an hd 4xxxm as an htpc running xbmc. I pretty much forget about hardware acceleration given the previous discussion, but congrats on AMD still developing for their old hardware.

Originally posted by brent View Post
        VDPAU-GL interop is required for some software that implements custom video postprocessing or scaling, like XBMC or mpv. The interop API is based on fields, even for progressive content.
        Do you know if one can disable postprocessering in xbmc and then use hardware acceleration?

Comment

AMD and other devs, if developing for older hardware does not help support new hardware then please don't waste your time writing code for old hardware. New and newer hardware has more users and new hardware is also faster/better. Get over it and sell your old hardware and buy new hardware (200$ extra per 3years is nothing). Intel has great open source drivers BTW, they even have a team called The Intel Open Source Technology Center. Unfortunately they don't have AM/NV like graphics cards but regarding CPU I'd buy Intel.

Comment

Um..no

Originally posted by opensource View Post
            AMD and other devs, if developing for older hardware does not help support new hardware then please don't waste your time writing code for old hardware. New and newer hardware has more users and new hardware is also faster/better. Get over it and sell your old hardware and buy new hardware (200$ extra per 3years is nothing). Intel has great open source drivers BTW, they even have a team called The Intel Open Source Technology Center. Unfortunately they don't have AM/NV like graphics cards but regarding CPU I'd buy Intel.
            Excuse me, but some of us have laptops and we can't just REMOVE THE GPU.... unless you want to pay to buy laptops for people.

Sure there are also non-mobile versions but for mobile users this is absolutely great!

Comment

Great! Thanks everyone who was involved in releasing this code! Can't wait to test it.

Comment

Postprocessing and scaling are implemented in VDPAU directly, they don't need opengl interop. XBMC uses opengl interop to draw its GUI on top of the video, but it also has (or used to have, no idea if it still does) a mode where interop isn't required.

Then, mpv requires interop so you can use hardware decoding with its opengl output (including the high quality scalers the opengl output provides). Without interop support, you need to use mpv's vo_vdpau instead of vo_opengl, this way you're limited to the scalers provided in VDPAU directly.

Don't know about Flash, but I'd say opengl interop is mandatory there.

Comment

Originally posted by opensource View Post
                  Get over it and sell your old hardware and buy new hardware (200$ extra per 3years is nothing).
                  If it's nothing, I can provide you my IBAN.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
                    Our primary goal with the radeonhd driver was to provide enterprise level support: maybe not all the features enabled, but solid (read: you get a working display every time), long term support. This was a pretty lofty goal in 2007. Given the political games played around this driver, be very glad that you have a working display today already (even if the means to achieve it are not as solid as they could be today, but that's what happens when politics get in the way of code).
                    Could you elaborate on this? I face stability issues as well, and I'm wondering why the current driver isn't rock solid like Intel's driver is.

Comment

The definition of "VDAPU/OpenGL interop" being...?

Originally posted by brent View Post
                      We are talking about an implementation of OpenGL extension GL_NV_vdpau_interop, correct?

Because if so, then it would seem that Flash playback would be supported without this:

$ strings libflashplayer.so | grep GL_
                      on GL_NVI
                      GL_ARB_multitexture
                      GL_ARB_shader_objects
                      GL_ARB_texture_rectangle
                      GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object
                      GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
                      GL_ARB_shading_language_100
                      GL_ARB_fragment_shader
                      GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two
                      Last edited by chrisr; 24 August 2014, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X