• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
    ???
    Sure, RS785E is UVD 2, no doubt.
    But I asked for RS780.

Are you sure for the RS780 (NOT RS785E)?

Again: Do you really mean RS780 and not RS785E?
    Yes. I'm sure. All RS780 and RS880 variants have the same UVD version.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      Yes. I'm sure. All RS780 and RS880 variants have the same UVD version.
      So why were then the graphics part in the RS780 (780G, 780E, 790GX etc) named 3x00 and not 4x00, when the reason for the 4x00 brand of the graphics part in the RS880 (785G, 785E, 880G, 890GX, etc) was UVD 2?

Comment

So why were then the graphics part in the RS780 (780G, 780E, 790GX etc) named 3x00 and not 4x00, when the reason for the 4x00 brand of the graphics part in the RS880 (785G, 785E, 880G, 890GX, etc) was UVD 2?
        Eash asic consists of a bunch of hw blocks. The marketing names picked for various chips have little bearing on what hardware blocks are contained in them. The main difference between RS780 asics and RS880 asics was the 3D engine (DX10.0 vs. 10.1) and the clocks.

Comment

Thank you for the clarification about UVD, because it's not really clear for many people, look here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:U..._Video_Decoder

And what "UVD+" stands for ?

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
            Thank you for the clarification about UVD, because it's not really clear for many people, look here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:U..._Video_Decoder

And what "UVD+" stands for ?
            We've tried to fix the wikipedia UVD article a number of times, but it keeps getting changed back. Not sure what UVD+ refers to off hand. Probably slight tweaks on newer r6xx asics.

Comment

We've tried to fix the wikipedia UVD article a number of times, but it keeps getting changed back.
              It sounds ironical. Maybe they wasn't aware that the information came from AMD.

Comment

Changed back by whom?

We've tried to fix the wikipedia UVD article a number of times, but it keeps getting changed back.
                Why on Earth would Wikipedia discard edits from an authoritative AMD source?!

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
                  It sounds ironical. Maybe they wasn't aware that the information came from AMD.
                  They probably just didn't like what we were saying.
                  Test signature

Comment

... The marketing names picked for various chips have little bearing on what hardware blocks are contained in them. ...

I could find in the documentation of the RS780/E only "UVD" (maybe I need glasses ). However in the documentation of the RS785E/RS880 I find "UVD 2" (e.g. #47991 RS785E Databook, page 1-1, 1-2 and 1-5, #48244-A: "UVD (Unified Video Decoder) 2.01" very precise ).

I believe you, I am just wondering.

Comment

I could find in the documentation of the RS780/E only "UVD" (maybe I need glasses ). However in the documentation of the RS785E/RS880 I find "UVD 2" (e.g. #47991 RS785E Databook, page 1-1, 1-2 and 1-5, #48244-A: "UVD (Unified Video Decoder) 2.01" very precise ).

I believe you, I am just wondering.
                      Maybe they opted not to make a distinction about the version of UVD in the earlier documents? I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                      X