Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD's Catalyst Linux Driver Preparing For A World Without An X Server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
    r600 is for old cards
    The Radeon 6000 series is not that old. I've seen your posts, you're an Nvidia fanboy.

Comment

AMD is preparing for Android!

It's because AMD is preparing for Android!

Comment

Originally posted by enihcam View Post
        Most plausible so far.

Comment

Originally posted by enihcam View Post
          I haven't worked on the packaging scripts for Catalyst in years since I stopped maintaining the Fedora fglrx package scripts, but while possible this probably wouldn't be the case. There could simply be a new "Android" packaging script option and its own set of installer scripts just as there is with any distro and those scripts themselves would ignore anything X related and not require Ubuntu/SUSE/etc to offer a --NoXServer switch.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

i'm not a fanboy

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            The Radeon 6000 series is not that old. I've seen your posts, you're an Nvidia fanboy.
            no fanboy here, i use what i think is better for me. i have amd cards i buy a lot of them because the price untill i buy a nvidia. r600 is good no doubt but the new apu are all RSI, for exemple i have a apu with r600 and other RSI and the new one not work well with open drivers the old one works better with opensource

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
              no fanboy here, i use what i think is better for me. i have amd cards i buy a lot of them because the price untill i buy a nvidia. r600 is good no doubt but the new apu are all RSI, for exemple i have a apu with r600 and other RSI and the new one not work well with open drivers the old one works better with opensource
              Maybe, but radeon 6000 gpus are still being sold in brand new PCs today, so it's not very fair of you to dismiss it as "old" and useless.

Comment

So when will Catalyst support EGL?

Fedora 20's Gnome 3 desktop uses the EGL backends by default (which Catalyst doesn't), so installing Catalyst on F20 + Gnome essentially ***** up the entire desktop. Compare that to Nvidia's proprietary driver which already has EGL support and works with F20 + Gnome without any issue.

All I see here is hints of them preparing to work Catalyst to function without X, but nothing of EGL.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                  (profanity) on a bike!
                  ...thine enemies take thy name in vain. - Ps 139:20

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain: for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain. - Deut 5:11

...and my name continually every day is blasphemed. Therefore my people shall know my name: therefore they shall know in that day that I am he that doth speak: behold, it is I. - Isa 52:5-6

And I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the Lord, when I shall lay my vengeance upon them. Ezk 25:17

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
                    ...thine enemies take thy name in vain. - Ps 139:20

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain: for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain. - Deut 5:11

...and my name continually every day is blasphemed. Therefore my people shall know my name: therefore they shall know in that day that I am he that doth speak: behold, it is I. - Isa 52:5-6

And I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the Lord, when I shall lay my vengeance upon them. Ezk 25:17

Can we vote this muthafucka up?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      Maybe, but radeon 6000 gpus are still being sold in brand new PCs today, so it's not very fair of you to dismiss it as "old" and useless.
                      Just because its being sold by some obscure company does not mean its new. Calling a GPU old is nothing bad though.

Comment

Working...
                      X