Radeon Gallium3D Is Running Increasingly Well Against AMD's Catalyst Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Gallium3D Is Running Increasingly Well Against AMD's Catalyst Driver

Phoronix: Radeon Gallium3D Is Running Increasingly Well Against AMD's Catalyst Driver

After last week running new Nouveau vs. NVIDIA proprietary Linux graphics benchmarks, here's the results when putting AMD's hardware on the test bench and running both their latest open and closed-source drivers. Up today are the results of using the latest Radeon Gallium3D graphics code and Linux kernel against the latest beta of the binary-only Catalyst driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

HD6870 has great performance. What's wrong with HD6950?

The HD6870 seems to not be too far away from being just as good as the catalyst drivers, at least in some tests. I wonder if mesa can eventually surpass catalyst performance.

I'm curious to know what's wrong with the HD6950, though. It's weird that it's about as fast as the HD6770 with mesa even though it's a much faster card with the closed drivers.

Comment

I think I remember someone posting about the next LLVM version (that isn't used by the ppa) has some performance improvments. Can anyone confirm? If so, how much better is it?

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
        I think I remember someone posting about the next LLVM version (that isn't used by the ppa) has some performance improvments. Can anyone confirm? If so, how much better is it?
        Oibaf started using llvm 3.5 lately, but these tests are done with mesa git from two weeks ago .

And there is hyperz (which can be buggy) but enabling that increase peorformance in every case .
        Last edited by dungeon; 05 August 2014, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I have got to get my hands on a 6870 one of these days...

Comment

As an owner of a HD5750 (which is the same thing as a HD6750, which is just a slower version of the HD6770) I'm pretty happy to know my user experience is almost on-par. So far I have a better user experience with this GPU than I do with my intel ivy bridge setup. The only major problem I'm currently facing is Portal 2 thinks I have opengl 1.4, when I clearly don't. I have 32 bit libs for everything and it's the only game that thinks this. Portal 1, from what I recall, works fine.

On another note, while these tests sure are impressive, one thing to keep in mind is catalyst in linux is decently behind catalyst in windows, both in features and performance. On the other hand, Windows gets all of the program-specific micro-optimizations. I'm not sure if the linux catalyst uses any of them.

Comment

well?

well where?

Comment

Can confirm. HD 6870 worked great with opensource drivers before I sold it to Qaridarium.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  As an owner of a HD5750 (which is the same thing as a HD6750, which is just a slower version of the HD6770) I'm pretty happy to know my user experience is almost on-par. So far I have a better user experience with this GPU than I do with my intel ivy bridge setup. The only major problem I'm currently facing is Portal 2 thinks I have opengl 1.4, when I clearly don't. I have 32 bit libs for everything and it's the only game that thinks this. Portal 1, from what I recall, works fine.

On another note, while these tests sure are impressive, one thing to keep in mind is catalyst in linux is decently behind catalyst in windows, both in features and performance. On the other hand, Windows gets all of the program-specific micro-optimizations. I'm not sure if the linux catalyst uses any of them.
                  You need to cancel libstdc++.so.6 and libgcc_s.so.1 in the portal2 directory. Google it, I had the same problem.

Comment

In real life is performing about 30% of the Catalyst performance and 10% of Catalyst rendering quality. There are missing textures, flickering etc in the most Steam games.

Comment

Working...
                    X