Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Bug-Fixes Start Hitting Mainline RadeonSI Gallium3D

Phoronix: Hawaii Bug-Fixes Start Hitting Mainline RadeonSI Gallium3D

For those excited about the recent working Radeon R9 290 "Hawaii" Gallium3D support, a number of bug-fixes were committed in recent hours to Mesa for bettering the support for those wishing to use this open-source AMD Linux driver for their ultra high-end graphics hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great work guys! I'm glad you got to prioritize the 290 for a while to get it up and running. I'm looking forward to upgrading to the mesa driver instead of Catalyst. Hopefully the performance will be good enough to use it for Civilization V...

Comment

Hopefully it works with Ubuntu 14.10. Catalyst is extreme annoying and buggy.

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
        Perhaps the new name for Catalyst should be AMD Cataclysm.

Regarding your comment, my biggest issue with Catalyst is scrolling speed and rendering in Firefox. It can take several seconds before scrolling works correctly, and it's lagging back and forth all the time. Extremely annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
          Probably not. 3.17 won't be released before Ubuntu 14.10 comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
            Great work guys! I'm glad you got to prioritize the 290 for a while to get it up and running. I'm looking forward to upgrading to the mesa driver instead of Catalyst. Hopefully the performance will be good enough to use it for Civilization V...
            Civ5 already works and is quite playable (ok, a new game, but I'm pretty sure it'll be ok). Of course you only get dx9-style graphics ... which seems just halfheartedly implemented in comparison to the dx10/11 version.
            I also had some problems with my multi-screen setup, but nothing too bad ;-)

Comment

Runs fine for me on a 7870. You just have to disable the leader scenes and deal with a glitch in the Civ5 engine that uses undefined negative inverse behavior that makes all the soft particles look broken.

Performance wise I think I'm getting a consistent 30 - 60 fps unless a lot of shit is going on or its a big game on radeonSI.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                Runs fine for me on a 7870. You just have to disable the leader scenes and deal with a glitch in the Civ5 engine that uses undefined negative inverse behavior that makes all the soft particles look broken.

Performance wise I think I'm getting a consistent 30 - 60 fps unless a lot of shit is going on or its a big game on radeonSI.
                Sounds promising! I haven't measured the framerate on my 290 + Cataclysm, but I'm kind of disappointed with the performance. It lags pretty consistently when you start getting 40 units and 20 cities...

Comment

Sounds promising! I haven't measured the framerate on my 290 + Cataclysm, but I'm kind of disappointed with the performance. It lags pretty consistently when you start getting 40 units and 20 cities...
                  I'm in a similar boat. I can either get nasty jitter in Garry's Mod, or have FPS that's almost useless to play in. And this ain't no ordinary jitter, whatever key I am pressing when the jitter hits gets stuck until I press it again. So many suicides because I couldn't walk to the right for a few seconds.

So:
                  a) Game breaking jitter
                  OR
                  b) Game breaking fps

Decisions, decisions.

EDIT:
                  Perhaps the new name for Catalyst should be AMD Cataclysm.

Regarding your comment, my biggest issue with Catalyst is scrolling speed and rendering in Firefox. It can take several seconds before scrolling works correctly, and it's lagging back and forth all the time. Extremely annoying.
                  Can confirm, the scrolling issue is not fun. Chromium seems to work nicely for the most part.
                  Last edited by profoundWHALE; 30 July 2014, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X