Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will ATI Give The FOSS Community A X-Mas Present?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or any other holiday surprises for the FOSS community?
    fglrx properly rewritten from scratch + more specs ?

Comment

all I want for christmas from amd/ati is video acceleration, I am still (yes still) pondering whether to go for an amd mainboard (690g w/ BE2350) or an intel mainboard (g33/g35 w/pentium e21*0)

Comment

Well i think there is no real question what you should buy...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Well i think there is no real question what you should buy...
          that is ? I am really still stuck, honestly.

Pro Intel:
          + As per Michael Intel will be getting Xvmc in the open driver some time
          + Better processor
          + More powerful chipset
          + I expect no/low problems with standbye etc

Pro AMD:
          + 690G has been around ==> good support
          + Power consumption a bit lower
          + No need to buy TV-out ADD2 board (currently do not have an HDTV yet)

that is where I am at
          Last edited by Cuppa-Chino; 10 December 2007, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I would not say that something with AMD IGP chipset has "good" support. Maybe you read this board not correctly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              I would not say that something with AMD IGP chipset has "good" support. Maybe you read this board not correctly enough.
              to be fair, yes I have seen the problems with it, but I think they are surmountable, I might go intel though after such encouragement

now the case.... I am limited on space gotta get that measuring stick out again

Comment

well

I think the radeon hd will take over

Comment

I think the radeon hd will take over
                  my thoughts exactly.

when radeonhd gets better and more functional ati will most likely make and add-on blob to it with all the proprietary stuff getting (optionally) linked at build-time :]

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                    my thoughts exactly.

when radeonhd gets better and more functional ati will most likely make and add-on blob to it with all the proprietary stuff getting (optionally) linked at build-time :]
                    If it does that it'll have to change it's windows driver as well since they've gone to an integrated driver for both.

Taking a blob of code out of it and just expecting it to work without being completely rewritten for radeonhd is like believing in fairies and pixie dust.

Comment

Taking a blob of code out of it and just expecting it to work without being completely rewritten for radeonhd is like believing in fairies and pixie dust.
                      i didn't say that. i said "ati will most likely make and add-on blob", basing on radeonhd codebase :]

i'm not sure about licensing issues. that might make it impossible.

Comment

Working...
                      X