Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD "Hawaii" Open-Source GPU Acceleration Still Not Working Right

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    nothing is perfect

    Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
    Ah, guess my friend complaining about BSoD's occasionally on his NVIDIA laptop, and my near-flawless experience with AMD hardware is a fabrication of my imagination. Lets not also forget about the one or two separate incidents of NVIDIA WHQL-signed drivers on Windows that damaged GPUs

    No OEM makes perfect drivers. Some people want to learn the hard way though. Please, head right over to NVIDIA if you think they're so flawless


    I can agree their open-source drivers on Linux are pretty ok, but I know first-hand their proprietary Windows drivers are a joke.
    nothing is perfect, but i have some amd/ati cards over the years, 4870/4890/4850/5770/ some apu and 5770m (the worst nightmare in my life) after years waiting for good drivers i give up, today i have intel cards or nvidia and life is so much better, i want a good and strong amd! i think they need to give up form their garbage fgrlx and put all resourses in opensource driver like intel do

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by log0 View Post
      Well, it certainly seems you felt addressed by my comment. Think about it.
      I'm sure its the same motive as to why you originally posted in this thread. Think about that.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
        intel is the only companie who provides good opensource drivers
        Intel is too slow for the price to be useful for anything. Nvidia don't follow spec and have no OSS game at all outside of their struggling ARM SoCs and they only have that because they are struggling to get some mindshare in a market the thought they could dominate but instead are just another minor player in.

        That leaves us with AMD, AMD makes fast GPUs and has a really good OSS game, which is a win win.

        AMD, the only option for anyone that needs a decent GPU in Linux.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Kivada View Post
          Intel is too slow for the price to be useful for anything. Nvidia don't follow spec and have no OSS game at all outside of their struggling ARM SoCs and they only have that because they are struggling to get some mindshare in a market the thought they could dominate but instead are just another minor player in.

          That leaves us with AMD, AMD makes fast GPUs and has a really good OSS game, which is a win win.

          AMD, the only option for anyone that needs a decent GPU in Linux.
          since i don't have ultimate preference, i can say bs on that.

          in my case,
          - if it is server, Intel. no question here.
          - if it is normal desktop, Amd (or maybe Intel when i want to cut as much hw and price as i can) no question here. OSS drivers are so nice on desktop
          - if i need working 3D, be it gaming or coding, NVidia. Amd will come in question when OSS hits 4.4 which i need, catalyst... never again after the troubles i had with it until i changed to NVidia

          for each purpose, there is a vendor and not one vendor is best in 2 departments. at least until Mesa hits 4.4, where i would consider spending more money for same performance and no blob. even going card range up to diminish Mesa performance lack would be worth it

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
            nothing is perfect, but i have some amd/ati cards over the years, 4870/4890/4850/5770/ some apu and 5770m (the worst nightmare in my life) after years waiting for good drivers i give up, today i have intel cards or nvidia and life is so much better, i want a good and strong amd! i think they need to give up form their garbage fgrlx and put all resourses in opensource driver like intel do
            Intel does not make cards, so no need to support that case like AMD... Lets now imagine AMD only supports their APU GPUs with the opensource driver, that is what Intel do .

            Comment


            • #36
              My R7 260X works perfect with both Catalyst and open source stack (oibaf PPA, Linux 3.15).

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                I know it sounds pretty arrogant, but that's based on what I've seen personally. I've seen people complain of drivers causing them BSoD while they were overclocking, and dropping the OC fixed it. I've seen problems that were fixed with BIOS/VBIOS updates.
                Is ATI allowing video bios updates on discrete gpus these days? I thought that their stance was that after initial board bringup, the thing would be perfect and that nobody would ever need a videobios update. Perhaps they are finally backporting fixes from the firegl range bioses to the equivalent consumer cards?

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  My R7 260X works perfect with both Catalyst and open source stack (oibaf PPA, Linux 3.15).
                  Your GPU isn't from Hawaii series.
                  Hawaii is R9 290X and R9 290 only.
                  Last edited by _SXX_; 07-21-2014, 07:47 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by libv View Post
                    Is ATI allowing video bios updates on discrete gpus these days? I thought that their stance was that after initial board bringup, the thing would be perfect and that nobody would ever need a videobios update. Perhaps they are finally backporting fixes from the firegl range bioses to the equivalent consumer cards?
                    Not entirely sure if AMD allows it necessarily, but there's been a few cases that I've seen where OEMs released VBIOS updates to fix issues related to clocks and texture artifacts.

                    Someone on MSI's user forum was able to give me a UEFI-GOP compliant VBIOS for my 7850 also, and apparently offers them to anyone who asks.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by teeedubb View Post
                      So youre saying gaming is better on amd.. but why did a company that is pushing linux gaming in a big way chose nvidia for their test machines? I doubt gabe just pulled that one out of his rear end... And lets move on from gaming, what about hq deinterlacers on my live tv streams? is amd up to spec in that department?
                      I did not say that gaming is better on amd. What I tried to point out is that a part of amd's problem is nvidia not following specs in their drivers and lazy developers, of course.
                      We must have used different versions of fglrx - when I got a 5770 the ubuntu desktop wasnt real glitchy with fglrx - but hey, it probably works well today (but it worked without issue with a nvidia card that very quickly rreplaced the 5770).
                      I have no idea about your experience with Ubuntu and Unity. For me fglrx worked just fine.

                      How do you think a amd card of same vintage would fare with fglrx?
                      And here is a beauty of AMD: there are two drivers. For old cards free driver is in a good state. Moreover it has some properties which does not have catalyst: vdpau + DRI_PRIME on hybrid graphics. For newer cards you can wait for free driver to catch up or... just use fglrx.

                      On nvidia side if something does not work you are in a big trouble. I am in this boat and I already explained it.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X