AMD Radeon VDPAU Video Performance With Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
    Wasn't it done and waiting technical review.
    I think the review would take time and i guess it's not on top of the list.
    According to bridgman it something between ready and up for legal review, which probably will cause further development work. And yes, he has confirmed that it is low priority (though AM3+ boards with the RS880 are still sold in the real world), but low priority does not mean that no one ever touches it.

I personally doubt that we will ever see it, but bridgman explicitly said that they would tell us if that is the case. Something I don't believe, I think nobody will work on it until no one uses those chipsets anymore. Kind of a self solving problem in the long term, but the kind of problem that will prevent me from going for AMD the next time I buy a laptop.

Comment

Would be nice if a AMD Guy can tell something about the UVD1 and UVD+ Support. I have still 3 Boxes with this type of Hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
        Sure, next year
        While pre-R600 updates are looking pretty grim (hell, even R600 is starting to lose some traction at this point), there's still a chance stuff like this can be released when the devs get the time. Right now RadeonSI and getting stuff like openGL 4.x out the door appears to be a higher priority to them, and I don't blame them.

But I have to say, these are some pretty impressive results. Even the crappiest of the GPUs listed didn't break a sweat. I think Michael's choice of a CPU was good too - not a piece of crap but something that will struggle a little.

I'm really happy to see the rate of progress for these drivers. There are things I personally would prefer them prioritize, but honestly I don't think there's going to be much wait in the long run.

Anybody know of a chart showing the openGL 4.x progress for each driver? I'm just curious how much of 4.x has been completed and how much more there is to do.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Anybody know of a chart showing the openGL 4.x progress for each driver? I'm just curious how much of 4.x has been completed and how much more there is to do.

Or maybe something like this .

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            Kind of a self solving problem in the long term, but the kind of problem that will prevent me from going for AMD the next time I buy a laptop.
            That would be a silly decision, the origin of the RS880 Chipset is in the not so oss friendly days, with many bugs in the hw. To get it working the time to invest is huge, for not so much return. All the newer ASIC get much more love from AMD so. To decide on buying new, on crap legacy support on legacy hw with no oss support is utterly stupide.

Comment

Originally posted by _ONH_ View Post
              That would be a silly decision, the origin of the RS880 Chipset is in the not so oss friendly days, with many bugs in the hw. To get it working the time to invest is huge, for not so much return. All the newer ASIC get much more love from AMD so. To decide on buying new, on crap legacy support on legacy hw with no oss support is utterly stupide.
              If AMD thinks that they don't have to support my (and many other people's) hardware, despite it being very widely distributed and still sold, wouldn't it be more stupid to support AMD nonetheless? It is very simple: If you don't support me, I won't support you.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                And aside from those weird 3-4 cards in the 52+ degrees Celsius range, the rest were right around most of the Nvidia cards, temperature wise...
                I don?t see the point of measuring the temperature of the GPU. The hottest card, the 5450, was also the one that was outputting the fewest heat, which seems more important to me.

Comment

If AMD thinks that they don't have to support my (and many other people's) hardware, despite it being very widely distributed and still sold, wouldn't it be more stupid to support AMD nonetheless?
                  You bought HW designed before AMD commited full oss support, but with closed driver support. With the time advancing they then told they may get it working if they have not more important things to do.

For new HW AMD commited they are going to support it with the oss driver stack, which they do pretty well, shure some features are missing now (GL4.x, CF, compute, tesslation), but are well underway to get it working in the near future. So if you tell you don't going to buy form
                  It is very simple: If you don't support me, I won't support you.
                  That is the point you bought hw with no real commitment to support it with oss driver. Like people buying a macbook pro with 1 year of support, and hesitate to buy the 3 year extended support, complying after 2 1/2 years that apple doesn't support their hw anymore. The problem is the buyer side not the company's.

Comment

If AMD thinks that they don't have to support my (and many other people's) hardware, despite it being very widely distributed and still sold, wouldn't it be more stupid to support AMD nonetheless? It is very simple: If you don't support me, I won't support you.
                    Do not ever forget one thing... you can't see Linux logo on much hardware packages , if you see it somewhere then you are safe to buy it even being complitely blinded.

Then go and by some Intel Atom with PowerVR based graphics ( yes do not check any info before buying any stuff) , those are also but much more still on stock . I mean you should know your need, anybody can say that depending what they want... for Intel (powervr), but for nVidia too (if you plan to use opensource driver)... so all vendors have "black sheeps" hardware/software combinations in their families .

It does not matter to me if they still sold something or not ( i guess that is the case for most other peoples _using_ linux traditionaly), those resellers can still have on stock whatever... you can find even Radeon 9250 PCI still sold , but who cares about that only if you need that you should know you have no more then official Windows XP support for that and in Linux opensource radeon driver .

If you are low on money and buying now go and buy new Sempron 2650 + some new AM1 board... that will costs you 50 € (i guess that is dirty cheap for new hardware even in Third World countries) and those have UVD4 and thus fine vdpau support within radeon driver . But if you buy now something with 4-6 years old RSxxx chipset instead of that (with no other partucular need), you are really... then i guess you know your thing . But if you don't, noone wants to support that - you can only get friendly advise like this .

Comment

So when will we see the results from the E1-2100 Kabini?

Comment

Working...
                      X