Open-Source Radeon Takes On AMD Catalyst In 2D Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baconmon: HD8330 is Kabini, isn't it ?

Do you know if there is a bug ticket for the problem ? I did some searching in bugs.freedesktop.org and didn't see anything that seemed applicable...

What is the output of glxinfo | grep render ?
    Test signature

Comment

He just needs to build/rebuild some packages , no radeonsi will work in Debian by default until xserver 1.16 hit sid:

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
        Hope I'll test that soon!
        No matter what you're all saying, Firefox is way slower than Chromium[1] on Linux. I really hope Wayland will fix all these lame issues.

@jrch2k8: how do you check if Firefox is using hardware acceleration. I'm using ArchLinux too, but I haven't touched anything in the config file of Firefox. But I guess that it's already using the hardware acceleration by default...

[1] If you don't believe me, please try the two browsers before answering this post. I have them here right in front of me and simply go to a pretty filled up page and do the test (e.g. http://www.polygon.com/a/e3-2014).
        well in firefox the first thing is go about:config and search xrender and set it to false, then force layers to enable and lastly verify 2D canvas is on cairo(skia crash for me since firefox 27 ish)

then go to about:support

in chrome use about:gpu and you get all info

Comment

here is some results from firefox 30 ArchLinux, please take them as a grain of salt since is not prof, do your own testing

CanvasMark

CanvasMark Score: 5853 (Firefox 30 on Linux) native Xorg
          CanvasMark Score: 6324 (Firefox 30 on Linux) Gnome-3.12 and Xwayland(llvm renderer 3.4, radeonsi doesnt always load dunno why)

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            no radeonsi will work in Debian by default until xserver 1.16 hit sid
            Okay, so I have to wait until xserver 1.16 before 3D will work on radeonSI?..
            I don't want to have to compile any thing..I just want to wait until it is in debian testing..
            I just wanted to make sure that it WILL work at some point in the future (and that I'm not doing some thing wrong)..
            Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            HD8330 is Kabini, isn't it ?
            Yes.. I am using a kabini laptop for my main computer.. APU is A4-5000
            Output of "glxinfo | grep render" is this:
            direct rendering: Yes
            GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer,
            OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits)
            GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_conditional_render,

That is all it shows..

Originally posted by Creak View Post
            Can you give us the versions of Xorg, Mesa and ati drivers?
            Linux: 3.14
            xorg: 7.7
            xserver: 1.15.1
            mesa: 10.1.4
            xserver-xorg-video-radeon: 7.3.0
            KDE: 4.12.4

If I type "lsmod | grep -i radeon" it outputs this:
            radeon 1285768 2
            ttm 69717 1 radeon
            drm_kms_helper 39892 1 radeon
            drm 240657 4 ttm,drm_kms_helper,radeon
            i2c_algo_bit 12751 1 radeon
            i2c_core 24228 6 drm,i2c_piix4,drm_kms_helper,i2c_algo_bit,radeon,v ideodev

But if I go in to KDE settings and try to enable OpenGL, it fails and just re-enables XRender.. So I figure I am lacking on some version of some thing..

Any way, thanks for the help..

Comment

Originally posted by Baconmon View Post
              Okay, so I have to wait until xserver 1.16 before 3D will work on radeonSI?..
              I don't want to have to compile any thing..I just want to wait until it is in debian testing..
              I just wanted to make sure that it WILL work at some point in the future (and that I'm not doing some thing wrong)..
              Yes you will need to wait when xserver 1.16 hits testing, that will be lets guess... in a ~month .

Comment

Yes you will need to wait when xserver 1.16 hits testing
                Oh okay, thanks.. I see that 1.16 isn't even in unstable yet.. But I can still wait any way..

Comment

Originally posted by Baconmon View Post
                  Oh okay, thanks.. I see that 1.16 isn't even in unstable yet.. But I can still wait any way..
                  It is not released upstream yet so it sits in experimental, together with glamor enabled ddx... So you may try that if you want .

Comment

Just checked out, all pieces you need are there (no need to compile anything) so just add experimental repo, install and reboot:

Code:
                    # apt-get install -t experimental xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
                    But that is for sid, can't be sure 100% for testing users . glibc is upgraded in sid to 2.19, default compiler is 4.9 now, llvm is 3.4.2, etc... nothing of that is not yet in testing .

Glamor from xserver is now much faster then libglamor was, you are better to try (or wait for) that anyway .
                    Last edited by dungeon; 17 June 2014, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Just checked out, all pieces you need are there (no need to compile anything) so just add experimental repo, install and reboot
                      erm.....I will just wait 4 or 5 months for it to finally fall in to testing.. I like stability.. Actually I would use stable branch if it wasn't so ancient all the time.. And yes, even using backports, a lot of the stuff in stable doesn't change I think..

Comment

Working...
                      X