Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Squeezes A Few More Changes For Linux 3.16

Phoronix: Radeon Squeezes A Few More Changes For Linux 3.16

Alex Deucher has sent in another pull request for the DRM-Next code targeting the Linux 3.16 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So I'm a little confused - does this mean (with the help of IOMMU) you can passthrough an AMD GPU and use the radeon drivers in a VM? Was this not possible before?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      So I'm a little confused - does this mean (with the help of IOMMU) you can passthrough an AMD GPU and use the radeon drivers in a VM? Was this not possible before?
      No. That should work already. This changes are for GPUVM. Virtual memory from the GPU's perspective. The changes just allow you to tune some of the GPUVM parameters. They aren't particularly useful for the average user. They are more for debugging and experimentation.

Comment

GART concerns with GART TABLE useful in agp aperture size for example?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          GART concerns with GART TABLE useful in agp aperture size for example?
          I don't follow what you are asking. There is already an option to adjust the GPU gart size. The AGP size is defined by the bios. These new parameters affect the size of the GPU VM space.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            I don't follow what you are asking. There is already an option to adjust the GPU gart size. The AGP size is defined by the bios. These new parameters affect the size of the GPU VM space.
            I would like to know if these imrovements affects also agp gart.

Comment

I would like to know if these imrovements affects also agp gart.
              No. AGP is largely controlled by the bios.

Comment

No. AGP is largely controlled by the bios.
                thanks for reply. Yes the direct control by machine is the better way.

Comment

thanks for reply. Yes the direct control by machine is the better way.
                  That is the nature of AGP. It's an external aperture set up the the bios with support from the chipset. You basically just point the GPU at the AGP aperture and the northbridge does the rest.

Comment

No. That should work already. This changes are for GPUVM. Virtual memory from the GPU's perspective. The changes just allow you to tune some of the GPUVM parameters. They aren't particularly useful for the average user. They are more for debugging and experimentation.
                    So the exploit to bring down any Linux-based machine by feeding it a code via HTML page that allocates a lot of graphical memory objects will be fixed?

Comment

Working...
                    X