X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• muzzymurray
    replied
    @bridgeman

I edited the c file, recompiled and reinstalled but xorg still seems unable to recognize it and subsequently ubuntu still seems to be defaulting to vesa. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

I don't mind waiting for some of the developers to get this card. Drivers that work with it probably wont be far away.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    >>(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc unknown chipset (0x9501) rev 0, Mem @ 0xe0000000/28, 0xf5000000/16, I/O @ 0xb000/8

I don't think the PCI IDs are in the driver yet -- I expect the developers wouldn't want to add them until someone has tested on the card (which makes sense).

You can either add the device ID to src/rhd_id.c yourself or wait until the devs can get their hands on cards. I would start with inserting a single line into the PCI_ID_LIST table, keeping the IDs in ascending order :

RHD_DEVICE_MATCH( 0x9501, RHD_R600 ), /* Radeon HD 3870 */

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    @muzzymurray

gdm on gutsy is configured with autofallback. So it is normal that vesa is used when radeonhd fails.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by muzzymurray View Post
    Yep, done that. I have pasted my logs and xorg.conf into pastebin but the spam filter must be reporting it as spam... not sure.

Yep, Fixed.

Leave a comment:

• muzzymurray
    replied
    Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
    After you installed the drivers, did you edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (note the "X" in X11 is an uppercase "X") and change the driver in the "Device" section from "vesa" to "radeonhd" ?
    Yep, done that. I have pasted my logs and xorg.conf into pastebin but the spam filter must be reporting it as spam... not sure.

Do you have a 38xx card. Have you got it working?

EDIT: Just noticed the following in my xorg log
    (--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc unknown chipset (0x9501) rev 0, Mem @ 0xe0000000/28, 0xf5000000/16, I/O @ 0xb000/8
    Last edited by muzzymurray; 03 December 2007, 10:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rbmorse
    replied
    After you installed the drivers, did you edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (note the "X" in X11 is an uppercase "X") and change the driver in the "Device" section from "vesa" to "radeonhd" ?

Leave a comment:

• muzzymurray
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Are you able to post your xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log somewhere?
    Sure
    xorg.conf : http://pastebin.com/m6edfb135
    Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/m1f1b9106

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Are you able to post your xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log somewhere?

Leave a comment:

• muzzymurray
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    It's not officially been tested, but should work if all goes well.
    I'm having a few problems. I think It built fine, and I can see the radeonhd drivers in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers but when I look through /var/log/Xorg.0.log it seems that the VESA driver is being loaded every time.

I have modified /etc/X11/xorg.conf does anyone have any suggestions? Should I try to also modify the BusID. How do I know the busID of my card?

Cheers

PS: Using a ATI/AMD 3870 with gutsy

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by muzzymurray View Post
    Is this driver supposed to support the 38xx series cards?

It's not officially been tested, but should work if all goes well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X