Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonHD 1.0.0 Driver Released

Phoronix: RadeonHD 1.0.0 Driver Released

It was just a week ago that the RadeonHD v0.0.4 driver was released, but today it has been replaced by v1.0! RadeonHD 1.0.0 was just pushed out to the public, and while it's still lacking 3D support and isn't bug-free, it's matured quite a bit over the past two and a half months that it's been available to the public.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Congratulations, and I am looking forward to future releases. However, I find it a bit surprising that a driver which does not even have Xv support and has seen very limited testing so far is already released as 1.0.

Comment

Nice one! I have been waiting for this one! But I'm a little disappointed.. I hoped for an open source graphic driver for my laptop. Does anybody know whether RadeonHD eventually will support mobility x600?

Comment

Originally posted by kimble85 View Post
        Nice one! I have been waiting for this one! But I'm a little disappointed.. I hoped for an open source graphic driver for my laptop. Does anybody know whether RadeonHD eventually will support mobility x600?
        Your x600 is from the R400 series, which will NOT be supported by RadeonHD. However, the open-source Radeon (in xf86-video-ati) does support the X600 and should do so quite well with 3D acceleration and everything.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by remm View Post
          Congratulations, and I am looking forward to future releases. However, I find it a bit surprising that a driver which does not even have Xv support and has seen very limited testing so far is already released as 1.0.
          Read the text, they made it 1.0 because they think it is stable enough to get tested by a wider range of people.
          I guess, that some Novell people are already working on 3D, but they can't publish that branches yet, since the documentation has not yet been released.
          If I remember correctly, the Novell people are already working with those documents we are still waiting for, but since those are under a NDA they can't publish anything yet.
          Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Your x600 is from the R400 series, which will NOT be supported by RadeonHD. However, the open-source Radeon (in xf86-video-ati) does support the X600 and should do so quite well with 3D acceleration and everything.
          As far as I know it doesn't have support for powerplay (ok radeonhd doesn't have that either) and on a laptop unfortunately that is a big deal.

Comment

i think they are jumping version numbers a bit too fast. maybe 0.1.0 would be more reasonable for now.

Comment

The RV670 / Radeon HD 3800 series hasn't been officially tested, but may be supported as well.
              Doesn't seem to work here

(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc unknown chipset (0x9501) rev 0, Mem @ 0xd0000000/28, 0xfe7e0000/16, I/O @ 0xa000/8, BIOS @ 0xfe7c0000/17

(...)

(II) RADEONHD: version 1.0.0, built from non-git sources

(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
              (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
              (EE) No devices detected.

Comment

Erik_N: Did you try adding the PCI ID for the card manually?
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

RadeonHD on Arch Linux

Hi, I've managed to install RadeonHD version 1.0.0 on Kubuntu, but I'd also like to try it on Arch Linux. Does anyone know what packages I need to install for autogen.sh to complete successfully? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by jealma View Post
                    Does anyone know what packages I need to install for autogen.sh to complete successfully? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                    There was a Phronix article about installing radeonhd under Ubuntu, maybe that will help you out:
                    Click!

Edit: Stupid me, this link was also already present in the article... sorry for spamming!

Comment

Working...
                    X