RadeonHD 1.0.0 Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    It's not officially been tested, but should work if all goes well.
    I'm having a few problems. I think It built fine, and I can see the radeonhd drivers in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers but when I look through /var/log/Xorg.0.log it seems that the VESA driver is being loaded every time.

I have modified /etc/X11/xorg.conf does anyone have any suggestions? Should I try to also modify the BusID. How do I know the busID of my card?

Cheers

PS: Using a ATI/AMD 3870 with gutsy

Comment

Are you able to post your xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log somewhere?
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Are you able to post your xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log somewhere?
        Sure
        xorg.conf : http://pastebin.com/m6edfb135
        Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/m1f1b9106

Cheers

Comment

After you installed the drivers, did you edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (note the "X" in X11 is an uppercase "X") and change the driver in the "Device" section from "vesa" to "radeonhd" ?

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
            After you installed the drivers, did you edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (note the "X" in X11 is an uppercase "X") and change the driver in the "Device" section from "vesa" to "radeonhd" ?
            Yep, done that. I have pasted my logs and xorg.conf into pastebin but the spam filter must be reporting it as spam... not sure.

Do you have a 38xx card. Have you got it working?

EDIT: Just noticed the following in my xorg log
            (--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc unknown chipset (0x9501) rev 0, Mem @ 0xe0000000/28, 0xf5000000/16, I/O @ 0xb000/8
            Last edited by muzzymurray; 03 December 2007, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzymurray View Post
              Yep, done that. I have pasted my logs and xorg.conf into pastebin but the spam filter must be reporting it as spam... not sure.

Yep, Fixed.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

@muzzymurray

gdm on gutsy is configured with autofallback. So it is normal that vesa is used when radeonhd fails.

Comment

>>(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc unknown chipset (0x9501) rev 0, Mem @ 0xe0000000/28, 0xf5000000/16, I/O @ 0xb000/8

I don't think the PCI IDs are in the driver yet -- I expect the developers wouldn't want to add them until someone has tested on the card (which makes sense).

You can either add the device ID to src/rhd_id.c yourself or wait until the devs can get their hands on cards. I would start with inserting a single line into the PCI_ID_LIST table, keeping the IDs in ascending order :

RHD_DEVICE_MATCH( 0x9501, RHD_R600 ), /* Radeon HD 3870 */
                  Test signature

Comment

@bridgeman

I edited the c file, recompiled and reinstalled but xorg still seems unable to recognize it and subsequently ubuntu still seems to be defaulting to vesa. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

I don't mind waiting for some of the developers to get this card. Drivers that work with it probably wont be far away.

Cheers

Comment

Just a quick question. After installing the radeonhd drivers, should they show up in the list when running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"?

Apologies if I have derailed the discussion, I will not be offended if a mod moves this to thread of its own.

Comment

Working...
                      X