Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Adds Gallium3D H.264 Profile Encoding Support

Phoronix: AMD Adds Gallium3D H.264 Profile Encoding Support

AMD's Leo Liu has published a set of four patches that improve Gallium3D's video support, particularly around H.264 encoding for Radeon GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Force is strong in them.

Comment

AMD have been going nuts on Linux drivers lately.
      good thing commin

Comment

I thought GPU-assisted encoding wasn't practical.

Or was that just OpenCL encoding?

Which engine on the GPU is being used?

Comment

The most recent chips have dedicated Video Compression Engine (VCE) hardware. Sometimes called Video Coding Engine or Video Codec Engine, depending on who you ask.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            The most recent chips have dedicated Video Compression Engine (VCE) hardware. Sometimes called Video Coding Engine or Video Codec Engine, depending on who you ask.
            I have a 7730M. Assuming it can do this since it's GCN, what can I expect compared to an 3632QM or any other sufficiently powerful CPU?

Comment

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
              Test signature

Comment

I use VCE from the first patches, and have one problem.
                https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=78788 (After using VCE video encoding, 3d performance slow down up to 3-4 times)

Is there somebody who can confirm this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
                  I thought GPU-assisted encoding wasn't practical.

Or was that just OpenCL encoding?

Which engine on the GPU is being used?
                  GPU encoding has been possible for a good while now, theres a tradeoff thoguh, the quality and file size and range of encoding options are limited by what the VCE can do, but it can do it very quickly.
                  The CPU on the other hand, depending on the software you're using produces better video quality at a lower file size and with endless options, but is an order of magnitude or 2 slower at it.

I haven't looked at benchmarks for it in a while, but I remember older $100-120 GPUs(HD4000 era I think) where able to transcode a video faster then whatever the current $1200 Intel Extreme Edition CPU was current.

Comment

Is there any progress on UVD 2.0 and earlier?
                    Not going to shift any priorities, only curious.

Comment

Working...
                    X