No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst On Fedora 20 Is Left In An Awkward State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I switched from Geforce to Radeon for the FOSS drivers. I'd be an idiot if I did it for Catalyst since it's way worse than Nvidia's blobs

Comment

Originally posted by pouar View Post
      I switched from Geforce to Radeon for the FOSS drivers. I'd be an idiot if I did it for Catalyst since it's way worse than Nvidia's blobs
      But, Catalyst 14.4 is supposedly working well in Ubuntu 14.04 (and probably Debian)? Check the AMD graphics section.

Comment

well i do the flollowing see kernel updates on software manager search for kernel updates if i find it then waith until catalyst beta comes out, also fedora dont support closed source

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
          But, Catalyst 14.4 is supposedly working well in Ubuntu 14.04 (and probably Debian)? Check the AMD graphics section.
          Yep 14.4 works fine in Debian (and probably Ubuntu) . But only if you use 64bit OS, in 32bit OS variant fglrx 2D is utter slow for some reason .

I guess most use 64bit OS, but if somebody use 32bit just be aware of that .

Comment

Workaround for Catalyst with Wayland-enabled GNOME 3 in Fedora 20

For the problem with GNOME 3 on Fedora 20, there's a workaround: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1054435#c4

Basically it's a bug in cogl.

I switched back to RadeonSI driver when I saw Kernel 3.14 in repo.
            Not sure about Catalyst with Kernel 3.14.

Before that, I always use binary blob from AMD.com, rather than rpmfusion packaged one.
            The 32bit lib in rpmfusion package has broken for long, which makes none of Steam game run.

Comment

It's been brought up before, but isn't Mesa portable to other OSes (AKA Windows)? If so, I'd really like to see a developer port the Mesa AMD drivers over to Windows 7/8 and do a comparison between them and the proprietary ones. If it's found that the Mesa drivers have similar (or possibly better?) performance while being, say, ~60% stabler (~60% less crashes/errors), I could see a ton of interest popping up in advancing Mesa and it's related drivers from *gasp* Windows devs

Good help is good help, I don't care what OS the dev is using ^.^

Comment

Works a lot better than previous beta packages in 14.04 (I had to wait at least second to see typed in text, browsers had issues with redrawing etc.), but it's still very bad when comparing to how it was (while not perfect) in 13.10. :-/

It was very bad idea to try to upgrade system once notification popped out (especially that it also broke grub and somehow root partition got damaged too that it required full reinstall...). ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                  It's been brought up before, but isn't Mesa portable to other OSes (AKA Windows)? If so, I'd really like to see a developer port the Mesa AMD drivers over to Windows 7/8 and do a comparison between them and the proprietary ones. If it's found that the Mesa drivers have similar (or possibly better?) performance while being, say, ~60% stabler (~60% less crashes/errors), I could see a ton of interest popping up in advancing Mesa and it's related drivers from *gasp* Windows devs

Good help is good help, I don't care what OS the dev is using ^.^
                  yeah, would be nice.
                  But wouldn?t it only support openGL on Windows then?
                  Or would it be possible to use the installed directx?
                  otherwise mesa would have to rebuild directx as oss...

Comment

But, Catalyst 14.4 is supposedly working well in Ubuntu 14.04 (and probably Debian)?
                    For me (HD 6950) Catalyst working like crap on Kubuntu 14.04, e.g crash Xserver if I start Chrome with GPU acceleration.

In same time it's working well on 12.04...

Comment

Installing the Proprietary AMD Catalyst 14.4 (fglrx) Driver on Fedora 20, Kernel 3.14

If anyone needs help with this issue, see my blog:

Update: Be sure to check out the next post in this series for the latest information on version 14.9 of the Catalyst (fglrx) driver for Linux.  The short story is: no patch is required for the new …

Full instructions for getting the latest AMD Catalyst 14.4 driver to work with Fedora 20 running the latest kernel version are there. It's a relatively simple process once you have it all detailed in one location. Furthermore, be sure to pay attention to the possibility that the AMD Catalyst 14.4 RC driver will actually work better than the non-RC driver (as detailed in the blog).

Let me know if you have any issues; I'm glad to help troubleshoot!

Comment

Working...
                      X