AMD's Hawaii Open-Source Support Still Remains Broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    We have access to the hardware, the problem is hawaii support is not a priority at the moment. We don't have any business cases right now where accelerated open source hawaii is a priority.
    I'm your business case...

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
      I'm your business case...
      You are not an AMD customer. The AIB vendors and large PC OEMs are.

Until one of the Tier 1 hardware review websites calls AMD out on it, or customers start returning HAWAII hardware in numbers, citing lack of open source support, I think it will remain not a priority.

Comment

So do not buy Hawaii cards if you want only opensource support right now, better wait until there is something and also because it will be cheaper .
        Last edited by dungeon; 19 May 2014, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          So do not buy Hawaii cards if you want only opensource support right now, better wait until there is something and also because it will be cheaper .
          Classical hen and egg problem: Don't buy Hawaii, support is bad -- support is bad because no one buys Hawaii.

Comment

Buy it or not that is yours of course, but most of us can just pray it will work someday .

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              We have access to the hardware, the problem is hawaii support is not a priority at the moment. We don't have any business cases right now where accelerated open source hawaii is a priority.
              Your business case are all the people that supported/bought products from AMD for its FOSS efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                Your business case are all the people that supported/bought products from AMD for its FOSS efforts.
                You should know already that AMD doesn't care anymore for you if you have already bought the hardware, you are low priority from that point on.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  Do you envision people buying Hawaii cards to use them with the open source drivers ?
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Do you envision people buying Hawaii cards to use them with the open source drivers ?
                    No but why not if they have the choice (they don't in the current situation). FOSS drivers (in general) are a far more pleasant experience compared to Catalyst AFAIK.

I get what you mean of course. AMD is doing a great job with the FOSS drivers but it still need more people/resources involved.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      I use my 6870 with FOSS drivers, why shouldn't I do that with a Hawaii GPU also, if it is supported well enough?

Comment

Working...
                      X