Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD's Hawaii Open-Source Support Still Remains Broken

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    We have access to the hardware, the problem is hawaii support is not a priority at the moment. We don't have any business cases right now where accelerated open source hawaii is a priority.
    I'm your business case...

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
      I'm your business case...
      You are not an AMD customer. The AIB vendors and large PC OEMs are.

      Until one of the Tier 1 hardware review websites calls AMD out on it, or customers start returning HAWAII hardware in numbers, citing lack of open source support, I think it will remain not a priority.

      Comment


      • #13
        So do not buy Hawaii cards if you want only opensource support right now, better wait until there is something and also because it will be cheaper .
        Last edited by dungeon; 05-19-2014, 01:36 PM.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          So do not buy Hawaii cards if you want only opensource support right now, better wait until there is something and also because it will be cheaper .
          Classical hen and egg problem: Don't buy Hawaii, support is bad -- support is bad because no one buys Hawaii.

          Comment


          • #15
            Buy it or not that is yours of course, but most of us can just pray it will work someday .

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              We have access to the hardware, the problem is hawaii support is not a priority at the moment. We don't have any business cases right now where accelerated open source hawaii is a priority.
              Your business case are all the people that supported/bought products from AMD for its FOSS efforts.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                Your business case are all the people that supported/bought products from AMD for its FOSS efforts.
                You should know already that AMD doesn't care anymore for you if you have already bought the hardware, you are low priority from that point on.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  Your business case are all the people that supported/bought products from AMD for its FOSS efforts.
                  Do you envision people buying Hawaii cards to use them with the open source drivers ?

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Do you envision people buying Hawaii cards to use them with the open source drivers ?
                    No but why not if they have the choice (they don't in the current situation). FOSS drivers (in general) are a far more pleasant experience compared to Catalyst AFAIK.

                    I get what you mean of course. AMD is doing a great job with the FOSS drivers but it still need more people/resources involved.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Do you envision people buying Hawaii cards to use them with the open source drivers ?
                      I use my 6870 with FOSS drivers, why shouldn't I do that with a Hawaii GPU also, if it is supported well enough?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X