No announcement yet.

Catalyst 14.4 Has Advantages Over Linux 3.15 + Mesa 10.3 Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it is wine bug, because fglrx, swrast, but also r200 mesa drivers all render that fine .

I must found similar but native case, maybe Doom3 in third person mode, with arb renderer and flashlight turned on .
    Last edited by dungeon; 16 May 2014, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      I don't think it is wine bug, because fglrx, swrast, but also r200 mesa drivers all render that fine .

I must found similar but native case, maybe Doom3 in third person mode, with arb renderer and flashlight turned on .
      yeap, anyway ill add my hardware to you bug report too and lets see if michael can figure it out

Comment

Thanks for traing this, Michael ask for apitrace but does not say later if it is reprodicible .

Comment

Thanks for traing this, Michael ask for apitrace but does not say later if it is reprodicible .
          well he is a very busy but from my own experience he sudenly comes and ask you to test a patch

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
            well i too believe people should evaluate more seriously the drivers instead of just cry FPS OMG.

my system:
            AMD FX 6100
            AMD radeon HD 7700 2GB
            16 GB DDR3 1866
            256GB Crucial M500 SSD

for example:

Catalyst

1.) Xvba: is horrid to make it work(even this day even on arch is a miracle to get it to render and not hung up the whole GPU)
            2.) 2D accel: feel very slow and is a tearfest but if you activate tear free it does tear less(still tears tho) but it get considerably slower too, quite crash prone, sometimes you get render/input lag too(has improved i admit that but well)
            3.) OpenCL: you got to pray hard so it won't hang the GPU(except in some well known benchmarks, ohh big surprise) when it works(quite touch and go depending the catalyst version)
            4.) 3D accel: huge FPS for the moar moar people but input lag, frame skip, texture quality issues, poor OpenGL compliance(this is true in windows Catalyst too for OpenGL), in driver per game optimization hacks, questionable security blackhole, wine support require divine assistance
            5.) Opengl Version: 4.4 but lots of softwares fallbacks and bad implementation and weird result all over the place, technically is better to stick to version 3 API and handpick working extensions from 4+, so it technically shows 4.4 but is mostly for show to the moar moar people
            6.) easy of install: depend your distro kernel Xorg version, normally very late compared to radeon or Nvidia Blob
            7.) stability: very dependant on the version, sometimes fix 1 but break 10 stuff sometimes not and is a very variant experience depending your GPU
            8.) old hardware support: inexistant unless your distro got stucked in 2009
            9.)Wayland support: knowing AMD speed to catch up, expected in quarter 3 of year 2022 as technical preview
            10.) bug support: unexistant at best
            11.) DPM: quite good (windows catalyst is a tad better)
            12.) video enconding: non existant

advantages: show moar FPS and report moar GL version

RadeonSI:
            1.) VDPAU: works beatifully(if your GPU supports it) and out of the box, never hangs or present render errors, pletora of compatible clients, miss some codecs tho
            2.) 2D accel: brutally fast especially with Xorg-1.16 and latest code, render and input lag free and rock solid stable even living on the git
            3.) OpenCL: still on heavy development but when used in a supported enviroment never hang the GPU(may vary depending the GPU) just sigsegv the application(i think is better this way)
            4.) 3D Accel: good enough speed for most task(valve, wine, native games, desktop, Qt5, wayland,etc), no noticeable hacks or input/render lags and no per games driver hacks(may be bad for some ppl in the FPS moar fest but i believe is the right way), wine support is very good
            5.) Opengl version: 3.3 + some 4+ groundwork but very good level of complaince overall and minimal software fallbacks this days, overall very good compliance(apply to most mesa drivers)
            6.) easy of install: good for release distros(may require external repos sometimes to try new features) and braindead for rolling distros like Arch
            7.) stability: since kernel 3.12 never had any stability issue at all(may vary per GPU)
            8.) old hardware support: excellent and improving daily even on 20+ years old hardware
            9.) wayland support: SuperB
            10.) bug support: excellent and improving, direct access to developers
            11.) DPM: almost or close to catalyst level(some GPU need hardware bugs fixes)
            12.) video encoding: OMX support for latest hardware only, future releases will support previous hardware generations

advantages: pretty much ass kick fglrx at everything but moar FPS in benchmarks
            I have to disagree with you in some points my friend. First of all my specs:
            -Phenom II 955 X4
            -Radeon HD 5850 1 GB vRAM
            -opensuse 13.1 X64
            -Corsair GS 128GB SSD
            -Kernel 3.13.6 (I will explain later why...)
            -Latest Xorg git daily updated stack from Pontostroy's repository
            -Latest ucode-amd

The latest Catalyst 14.4 version has huge differences overall in performance for my system since the latest stable version or beta.
            For 2D performance I can surely say that KDE with Kwin's 3D effects enabled feels almost as smooth as with r600g now a fact that even I couldn't believe when I discovered it! I thought I hadn't install catalyst at first.
            XvBA is still a pain cause none of the players natively supports it and you have to install xvba-video package from packman and vaapi libs in order to work through vaapi (that's the only reason I switched back to r600g driver, Kaffeine's DVB-T was crashing all the time but XBMC was working, the opposite happens with r600g and vdpau)
            3D performance was much better compared both with the previous Catalyst versions and latest r600g not at the FPS measurement only but also very very improved at the lag and stuttering problems. Very obvious for all Unigine demos.
            DPM works great
            Overclocking possible
            Tearfree does not slow my environment down
            A very annoying bug thought is present in this version which isn't present at the older ones, you cannot expand the image to cover full screen with HDMI connection. The slider is absent in the latest Catalyst control center.

R600g is exactly as you described it here too but I face a huge problem... If I install anything from Kernel 3.14 and up KDE freezes upon startup and I can move only the mouse meanwhile system starts normally! This isn't the case if I have 3D effects disabled. But KDE looks and feels awful without 3D effects enabled, so I decided to install Kernel 3.13 and latest Xorg and Mesa git stack to have good video and DVB-T Tv and some acceptable 3D performance.

Comment

Originally posted by djdoo View Post
              For 2D performance I can surely say that KDE with Kwin's 3D effects enabled feels almost as smooth as with r600g now a fact that even I couldn't believe when I discovered it! I thought I hadn't install catalyst at first.
              Yep i can say that too, 2D is very good with 14.4 but on x64 only, for some reason 32bit is still very slugish .

If someone wants to compare glamor with that please do it now .

GtkPerf 0.40 - Starting testing: Sat May 17 03:12:21 2014

GtkEntry - time: 0.03
              GtkComboBox - time: 0.50
              GtkComboBoxEntry - time: 0.41
              GtkSpinButton - time: 0.05
              GtkProgressBar - time: 0.03
              GtkToggleButton - time: 0.05
              GtkCheckButton - time: 0.05
              GtkRadioButton - time: 0.09
              GtkTextView - Add text - time: 0.28
              GtkTextView - Scroll - time: 0.13
              GtkDrawingArea - Lines - time: 0.62
              GtkDrawingArea - Circles - time: 1.45
              GtkDrawingArea - Text - time: 0.35
              GtkDrawingArea - Pixbufs - time: 0.05
              ---
              Total time: 4.09

Comment

yeah about xvba in my case mostly always hard hung the GPU and fails a lot depeding the video profile(maybe is an GCN exclusive issue) and about 2D i admit they improved but mostly for desktop operations like move windows or scrolling in some apps but for example Inkscape is unbearable(blur shadows, zooming, multi layer, scrolling), qt4/5 Canvas draw performance, libreoffice scrolling in huge pages with graphics, in resume mostly the stuff that don't make it to benchmarks on the other hand radeonsi is a pleasure to work with in those cases specially since glamor boost.

about 3D performace well is good enough for the games i use (Lineage2, 0ad, Xonotic, civ5 bnw, starcraft 2 wol, etc.) so no complains here, btwi still get frame pacing and input lag with some of this games with fglrx(some otheres gots fixed tho) but for my needs i really don't need catalyst anymore for anything, ofc if you still have issues with open driver be it a non working game or a non properly supported GPU is nice that fglrx is slowly starting to improve

Comment

If someone wants to compare glamor with that please do it now .
                  Glamor from keithp's glamor-server branch is faster than that on my Kaveri, just above 3s.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
                    Glamor from keithp's glamor-server branch is faster than that on my Kaveri, just above 3s.
                    That was from Kabini , but glad to hear Keith make glamor that fast So, lines and circles are fine now?
                    Last edited by dungeon; 16 May 2014, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Just for comparison, a HD4350 on EXA:

GtkPerf 0.40 - Starting testing: Sat May 17 13:36:19 2014

GtkEntry - time: 0,00
                      GtkComboBox - time: 2,77
                      GtkComboBoxEntry - time: 1,34
                      GtkSpinButton - time: 0,16
                      GtkProgressBar - time: 0,29
                      GtkToggleButton - time: 0,23
                      GtkCheckButton - time: 0,07
                      GtkRadioButton - time: 0,10
                      GtkTextView - Add text - time: 0,17
                      GtkTextView - Scroll - time: 0,31
                      GtkDrawingArea - Lines - time: 0,89
                      GtkDrawingArea - Circles - time: 0,84
                      GtkDrawingArea - Text - time: 0,65
                      GtkDrawingArea - Pixbufs - time: 0,17
                      ---
                      Total time: 7,99
                      EXA loses pretty bad in the combobox, small wins in a couple tests.

Comment

Working...
                      X