X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What distro Marek uses? Arch is at 17.8MB

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
      I see the "link-time-optimization" stuff, but what about performance optimization if all the drivers get glued together ? It's already difficult to have a decent perf on even old cards, because driver optimization is hard to get even with 3 different drivers, so I don't like the idea of merging all together, with the fear of getting the worst performance possible regardless the card.
      Depends on what you mean by "old cards"? Right now anything older then Radeon HD 5000 series is considered old, but shares a lot of code with HD 2000 to 4000 series. Cards from HD 2000 to GCN do share a lot of driver code, with minor differences here and there. By combining the driver can also benefit older cards, since some changes can be inherited.

Right now I feel bad for Nouveau drivers. They don't get the same attention that AMD drivers get. With Nvidia hardware you will most likely use their drivers. AMD cards are so good the open source drivers are beating Catalyst with PTE patch. I got an Nvidia 9600M GT, and I use Nvidia drivers, which isn't helping Nouveau. It won't be long before Nvidia gives the finger to NV50 hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by phill1978 View Post
        I think we should start a "buy Marek a beer club" . Everytime he increases performance, squashes bugs and improves overal integration the community should send a keg of beer over
        +1

Or other drink of his choice.

Comment

Fglrx is huge blob at 35.5MB ... Michael write an article - We Win Ourselves & Other Blobs .

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            Depends on what you mean by "old cards"? Right now anything older then Radeon HD 5000 series is considered old, but shares a lot of code with HD 2000 to 4000 series. Cards from HD 2000 to GCN do share a lot of driver code, with minor differences here and there. By combining the driver can also benefit older cards, since some changes can be inherited.

Right now I feel bad for Nouveau drivers. They don't get the same attention that AMD drivers get. With Nvidia hardware you will most likely use their drivers. AMD cards are so good the open source drivers are beating Catalyst with PTE patch. I got an Nvidia 9600M GT, and I use Nvidia drivers, which isn't helping Nouveau. It won't be long before Nvidia gives the finger to NV50 hardware.
            Nvidia does not release specs or driver code to launch opensource developers on the good road. So you're left in the blank, trying to reverse-engineer a big blob, with having to buy your own hardware to run the stuff, crossing fingers to get it working.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              AMD cards are so good the open source drivers are beating Catalyst with PTE patch.
              That is not true at all . How that can be, beated and in the same time with the same stack be complitely broken in Xonotic . It beated it by being broken of course, that is true .
              Last edited by dungeon; 15 May 2014, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark_ View Post
                I'm asking myself why the distributions install every driver in the first place. I don't need Nvidia and intel (or matrox or S3) drivers if I am using an ATI card but nonetheless they are installed. And if I try to remove them, the packaging software probably wants to remove all desktop and X11 packets because they "depend" on drivers I never use.
                But instead of improving their shitty packagers and introducing a hardware detection at installation time - sure, let the upstreamers change everything to save some space (the Windows drivers also include everything for all cards and even a config interface with dependant libraries, who cares about 200MB drivers there?).
                If they are so anal about package size, they probably want to shrink their kernel images from 30MB to 2MB first, then we'll talk again.
                Its handy to have all drivers installed so that if you install/change hardware it will just work. Also for occasions where you need to move an existing install from 1 machine to another (e.g. a computer dies, so you pull out the HD and put in a new computer).

If you distro has a sensible packaging system (*cough* debian and derivatives) then it knows the difference between 'depends', 'recommends' and 'suggests'.

Comment

Originally posted by phill1978 View Post
                  I think we should start a "buy Marek a beer club"
                  He can probably afford his own beer. If you want to increase his productivity, send him some meth*

*Check local laws before shipping meth

Comment

Bike shedding.

Comment

I'll have water. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X